ISDN TO Broadband

leasthope 16:55 29 Jul 03

Hi, i have an Bt Homehighway line and want to convert to broadband. Converting to BT Broadband is simple but because i am less than 12 months into the contract i can only subscribe to BT Openworld otherwise if i signed up to say AOL i would have to pay the full conversion price of a hundred pounds which i wouldn't if i signed up to BT Openworld Broadband. Does any one now of another broadband service that could waive the hundred pound conversion price as i am not happy about paying a hundred pounds to remove the isdn equipment plus another 80 pounds for a standard broadband modem. Any info would be great

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:52 29 Jul 03

I'm sure that I read, earlier today, that BT were converting ISDN subscribers over to ADSL for zippo loot.

G

graham√ 19:38 29 Jul 03

Converting your line back to a normal phone line, so that it can be used for ADSL, can only be done by BT. I can't see any other ISP offering to reimburse you for the charge that BT will make for this.

ams4127 21:23 29 Jul 03

I hope you are right GANDALF <|:-)>. I'm about to go down that route myself.

DieSse 00:46 30 Jul 03

There's no reason you can't have ADSL on an ISDN line is there - It's not that uncommon in commercial premises in Spain - so why the bit about converting back to a regular phone line?

graham√ 09:29 30 Jul 03

When ISDN is installed, the normal Network Terminating Equipment (NTE) is replaced with ISDN terminating equipment, these days often in the form of Home Highway. This will often involve internal wiring changes, dependant on where the ISDN is required in the premises.

Because the NTE marks the boundary of the BT Network, only BT can make any changes. Therefore, to deliver ADSL, the line must be converted back to a normal line and, once again, internal wiring may need to be altered.

You cannot deliver ADSL on an ISDN line.

DieSse 09:52 30 Jul 03

Well maybe with BT you can't, but I know for sure here in Spain you can, as I have at least two clients who do so, and can confirm it really is so, as the routers are specifically for that purpose.

graham√ 10:13 30 Jul 03

But ADSL and ISDN are to International Standards. Both are digital, but are connected to different types of exchange equipment. Each require different types of equipment at the customers premises. ISDN, NTE 8C at the last count. ADSL, in the form of a Terminal Adaptor (often referred to as a broadband modem).

Could it be that your clients lines are delivered over a wideband product, such as a Megastream? Such a system can carry any combination of analogue and digital sevices.

jockym 10:49 30 Jul 03

Leasthope, I have ISDN Home Highway and intend to transfer to Broadband as and when it's available in this area. Although I have only been with ISDN for 3 months any queries I have had are promptly dealt with by ringing Home Highway on 0800 917 1161, I'm sure they can give you the info one way or the other.
Cheers the noo

DieSse 22:53 30 Jul 03
  graham√ 23:22 30 Jul 03

Thanks for that, I've had a quick look and it is very interesting. Will resume in the morning. Perhaps I should jet out to investigate further? :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…