iRiver - No River and hell all the time.

sean-278262 14:57 14 Mar 06

Hello all, I have advocated the river brand for nearly 18 months now and today have had my PMP140 returned from RMA. The story starts last November when my player died. I emailed their addresses a number of times over November and December, with no reply.

I through January was not able to sort the problem out till the end of the month with work commitments and not being around. On the 25th however I managed to get the RMA acceptance. I placed a number of problems as my reasons not least a boot error where by the unit stopped working at all. I received this email
Dear XXXX XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your message. Your request has been successfully added to our database.
Please print your RMA request, add it to the parcel and send your player to:

river Europe GmbH
RMA Number: 20060125hdf
Mergenthalerallee 79-81
65760 Eschborn
Germany

Please send us in the device at your own cost (your transportation/ free domicile) without any accessories (except defect ones) including the receipt of payment and the above mentioned RMA number.

Please note that we will accept your package only with above mentioned RMA number within the address field!

Please note also that we can only handle EU-Models as a warranty case (except global warranty card holders). For Non-EU Models, without global warranty card, we can offer you a charged repair service. You will receive a cost estimate after our technicians have keenly checked and tested your device.
Please notice that it will take around 2-4 weeks until you will get back your player.

For further inquiries please feel free to contact us anytime at [email protected].

Best regards,
Your iriver Service Team

I sent it off and it arrived on the 1st of Feb to them with registered delivery and insured for its full value.

I received this email of its arrival.

Dear XXXX XXXXXXX,

Thank you for sending us your defective iriver player PMP-100 Series.
We have received your player on the 2006-02-01.

Our technicians will keenly check and test the device. You will receive back your repaired iriver player as soon as possible.

If you have further enquiries, please feel free to contact us again anytime at [email protected]

Best regards,
Your iriver Service Team

I then proceeded to wait the 2-4 weeks that iriver said it would take in the email they sent the first day.

Yesterday I called up to complain about and they apologised and said it would arrive by Friday by UPS. Well it arrived today and low and behold the boot error is gone but now it is not working in that the screen flickers all the time on the brightness level. This means that as a video player it is useless as it would just drive anyone mad to watch it. So what can I do? I called up and the woman gave us another number to call it is always engaged. We called back and then she offered to get a call back. Anyway that is where it stands. Over 4 months without a player. 6 weeks were due to them with it in Germany. What can I do? I at this point have lost all interest in it. I just want my money back and to go get another player that isn’t an iriver. I used to love the brand but after this I don’t have an interest.

What rights do I have to demand my money back? I purchased from Advancedmp3players.co.uk in November 2004. The units come with a 2 year warranty. I have lost faith. I lost over 6 weeks warranty while they messed about and have not had any emails from them since day one when the player stopped working in November and up till today when I got it back have had no player at all. £400 for nothing in my opinion.

Any advice is appreciated. As far as I understand I’m within my rights to demand a refund and them to come get it. I feel insulted that they claim they are sending it back within 2 to 4 weeks and take nearly 7 and that only my calling them made it come back. Then I also feel even more insulted by the fact they will “check and test the device” when this fault is apparent from the moment I turned it on.

I’m not really sure what to do so can I get some advice please. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

A

namtas 15:31 14 Mar 06

I am not sure how you now stand now. As you bought it from Advancedmp3players.co.uk you had a contract with them, you did not have a contract with River Europe.

The clean route regardless of what was said would have been to get the player to Advance and let them sort it out. It is advance who would have to honour the guarentee.

sean-278262 15:37 14 Mar 06

Appreciate the help, as far as I understand AMP3 only have to honour the first 12 months as that is the part they must honour. Then after that iRiver honour the rest. As they endowed the warranty for a further 12 months. Maybe Im wrong. Anyone care to cast some light on it.

Forum Editor 17:36 14 Mar 06

was with the retailer from who you bought the device, and that's the company to whom you should refer any claims in the first instance. By choosing to deal directly with the manufacturer you place yourself in a less-than-favourable position - the makers will not refund your purchase price because they have no legal obligation to do so under UK or European consumer law.

A manufacturer provides a guarantee that the goods will not suffer from defects as a result of faulty manufacturing processes, but your protection under consumer law is very comprehensive as far as the retailer's liability is concerned. By taking the matter straight to the maker you've removed the retailer from the game - you agreed to the manufacturer attempting to repair the item, and now you're dealing with them. You'll find it very difficult to get the retailer involved at this stage - they'll simply recommend that you return the device to them, and they'll send it to the makers.

You should try however, particularly as you say the machine came with a two year warranty.

sean-278262 17:47 14 Mar 06

Ahhh, right, well AMP3 said to take it to the maker way back when I got it. They advertised it as having features it didnt have and others that iriver decided to drop so I thought it best to speak to iRiver. What can I do? I just dont want it anymore, Im going to get a creative with a half decent warranty support.

Im just lost with what to do.

sean-278262 17:48 14 Mar 06

To clarify. I mean they told me to speak to iriver and it wasnt their fault that iRiver gave them the wrong specs. Basically I was fobbed off, so I decided to go the other route.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5