iPOD or Creative Zen MP3 player ?

ZootHornRollo 17:56 06 Dec 03

I am looking to buy one of these for myself as a Xmas treat. I was going for an iPOD - £399 for the 40Gb version at the local John Lewis but they have a Creative Zen which is £50 cheaper with a stonking 60Gb of storage!
Surely there has to be a catch?
Has anybody got any views on which is the best - the iPOD has the trendy name etc but is it really any better than the Creative version?

Diodorus Siculus 18:29 06 Dec 03

I don't know which is the better but if you are going to shop in John Lewis, look for the best price you can find on the net and JL will price match it for you with no problems.

bremner 19:09 06 Dec 03

click here and you will see a small saving through Komplett for the 40GB iPod.

Downloading to the iPod is now so easy since Apple made iTunes for the PC.

rickf 19:39 06 Dec 03

I have 2 Creatives, one the Zen and the other the Zen NX. The latter has 30g and its brilliant all round. The software is very easy to use and usb2 very efficient. Reproduction is excellent. You'll find much cheaper elsewhere than J. Lewis. The 60 g Zen Extra is just over £300, not £350 as you said. Shop around and you'll find cheaper.

rickf 19:40 06 Dec 03

BTW, the Ipod is way over priced for what it is. The Zen has replaceable lithuim battery which you don't find in the Ipod, a very important factor.

bremner 20:03 06 Dec 03

click here

click here

click here

Three independent reviews of the iPod

mikef. 20:22 06 Dec 03

I've got the Zen and there is no way I'd swap it for the iPOD, it is by far the best deal. You can get it for £293.79 from Amazon click here

rickf 20:38 06 Dec 03

Agree mikef. Its a really good piece of kit. Go to Cnet and see the reviews-lots of them. No way would I go for the Ipod.

ZootHornRollo 21:18 06 Dec 03

looks like the creative Zen has the vote then. Thanks .

One follow -up question : can you remove tracks from these machines or are they on there for ever?

rickf 09:27 07 Dec 03

Yes, you can delete with ease.

rickf 12:57 07 Dec 03

Oh! get yourself a pair of decent headphones. The ones supplied are ok but if you really appreciate music at its best get the real thing like the Philips "Clarity" 840.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…