Internet Security Packages

Dchar23 14:59 22 Mar 05

Which Internet Security package is the best one. I am using McAfee Security suite 6 at the moment and the Privacy Service is a pain in the neck, I have it disabled at the moment. I am using Microsoft Antispyware instead.

I discovered a couple of trojans on my computer yesterday aswell which the virus scanner should have stopped.

I have seen alot of links to standalone anti spy/adware and virus scanners, but I havent got a clue which ones are any good and stay up to date.

One other thing I have a network and I wanted to know if I needed it installed on both computers because my virus scanner scans both computers. But Im not sure if the Firewall protects both computers and unfortunately the other computer is to slow to install it on.

pauldonovan 15:03 22 Mar 05

From what i've read it is best to look at the 'best of breed' in each category...i.e. firewall, virus etc.

One of the best things I've found recently is winpatrol - it sits there and tells you if anything tries to add itself to your startup and you can stop it, also any IE browser helper objects etc.

PC Pro rave about webroot spysweeper but when I tried it it reported several false positives that I ended up spending quite some time investigating which makes it a no-no in my view.

I use winpatrol, a hardware firewall and AVG Virus and I haven't had any probs...

plsndrs3 16:08 22 Mar 05

I agree with pauldonovan. I had several free stand alone solutions, but decided that I wanted a bought all-in-one package. Later found out that it missed some things that were discovered when I went back to the freebies following a program crash & it was quicker to install the freebies than find the registration details o the paid-for [AVG anti virus/Kerio Firewall/Spybot S&D/Adaware + now CCleaner].

I can only speak from personal experience, but these seem to do a better all round job as each is VERY effective at it's own job ....

Dchar23 16:20 22 Mar 05

Should I uninstall or disable McAfee before installing these other programs

plsndrs3 16:39 22 Mar 05

Dangerous to have 2 anti virus or 2 firewall programs running at the same time.

Personally, I would download them to a new folder, burn onto CD then disconnect from the net. remove Mcafee and install your chosen free programs from the disc ....

pauldonovan 16:54 22 Mar 05 don't want it conflicting....

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:10 22 Mar 05

free avg from click here,

Ccleaner from click here,
MS antispy from click here and your choice of firewall.

Leave off the Pr0n sites, don't open attachments from strangers and never accept free browser helpers. You will be more than well-covered.

plsndrs3 17:35 22 Mar 05

Just follow the advice from GANDALF <|:-)> who, incidentally, doesn't use a firewall but keeps to the simple rules he has mentioned. I don't believe he has had a problem th date .....

Me, I prefer the comfort zone of a firewall.

pauldonovan 11:08 23 Mar 05

Is probably ok if you follow those rules and have some kind of device that obscures your IP when you connect to the net. If you are 'directly' connected then any vulnerabilities in Windows will be exploited very quickly when they are known. I'd say why not have one, particularly a firewall one.

My in-laws connected via dial-up for a few minutes each week and found that they were infected very quickly. Of course, with a dial-up its tough to get the windows updates you need to protect yourself!

freaky 15:14 24 Mar 05

My own opinion is to buy a complete package i.e. Norton Internet Security rather than install various freebies. With package you at least know they will interact with each other correctly, this is not always the case with freebies.

I have NIS and have had no problems with it, I have also got Spybot Search & Destroy plus Adaware which are freebies.

SURVEY 16:46 24 Mar 05

Similar to freaky, I also have Norton Internet Security (2004)and have had no problems with it at all. I also use Spybot Search & Destroy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…