Internet refund - is this a scam?

puma22 19:14 20 Jul 05

Hi, I am trying to get a refund from an internet firm. They already have CC details as they have charged me. The want, via e-mail the 3 digit security number from the back of the card before they will process the refund.
Does anyone know whether this sounds legit?
Cheers

pj123 19:33 20 Jul 05

Yes, most purchases via credit/debit card ask for the 3 digit number on the back of the card. I have not had any problems with that. If you entered that number when making the purchase though I don't see why they should need to ask you for it again before crediting your card account.

pj123 19:35 20 Jul 05

PS. I think I would ring the credit/debit card company and ask for their advice.

stalion 19:41 20 Jul 05

it is not safe to send your details by email if they have a secure site for entering such details they should be entered there as pj123
contact the first

spuds 23:21 20 Jul 05

Doe's the internet firm have a contact telephone number, if so, try and telephone them.

As pj123 states, most traders will require the 3 digit code from the back of the card, for authorisation from the credit card company. Do not send all the card details, if the site shows as insecure [no https and padlock]

puma22 13:16 21 Jul 05

thanks for the advice everyone. I took the advice of my CC provider and phoned the required number through

Dizzy Bob 19:24 21 Jul 05

The three digit Card Security Code is purely used to make sure you actually have the card, and are not just reading the details from a reciept or imprint. That is why it is on the back, and not embossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…