Internet just stops. Solution?

Ellie3009 11:20 05 May 03

I have been having this problem for a while, but it has begun to frustrate me, so I'm looking for a solution!

When I'm using the internet, sometimes it just stops, usually after I have been online for more than 30 mins. The bytes recieved numbers just stop moving, even when there should be activity going on because I'm loading a page/downloading a file etc. However, I never get any "this program has stopped responding" type messages.

Once this happens I cannot load another website, and disconnecting and re-dialing doesn't solve the problem. The only way to solve the problem is to restart the PC, although it never shuts down properly after this has happened and I'm always forced to hit the power button.

I regularly use IE6, OE, Yahoo messenger 5.5, and MSN messenger (most recent version) although it seems to make no difference which combination of these, or how many windows I have open at the time.

The problem is not with phoneline or ISP, because the PC recently spent 4 weeks at my parents house where both are different, and the problem persisted.

The PC is running win 98, Athlon 600mhz, HD 10gb, 196mb RAM, with an HSP56k micromodem.

Thanks in advance for replies!

Ellie3009 11:28 05 May 03

Drat, wrong forum. Ignore this one and I'll post it again in the Helproom!

Ellie3009 11:30 05 May 03

To respond to this thread in the helproom...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…