Internet Credit card fraud

anchor 12:47 20 Apr 06

I have just read a disturbing article in today`s "Times" on-line. It seems credit card details were being taken from unidentified British servers.

click here

Perhaps, when making a purchase, seeing the padlock for a secure server is not enough, if a hacker can obtain the details from the suppliers server.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:26 20 Apr 06

They would usually need an address and then 3 digit number on the back. A credit card number is very easy to obtain especially if you work in a shop so this really is not very worrying. The CC company will refund any fraudulent transactions in any case.

G

rmcqua 15:16 20 Apr 06

I had an unknown transaction of £250 on my account last week from a merchant in Dundee under the heading "restaurants, hotels, resorts, etc." I haven't been near Dundee, nor ordereed anything from there. Just in the process of waiting for my money to be refunded by the CC company, after filing a police report.
The biggest hassle is having to cancel and re-issue the card.

Teaboy 17:22 20 Apr 06

I'm not certain, but doesn't one have to ensure the card against fraud? Its not really a sec.75 job, or am I wrong?

Stuartli 17:43 20 Apr 06

>>or am I wrong?>>

Yes, unless it was due to negligence on the part of the card holder.

Totally-braindead 17:47 20 Apr 06

I've never asked or paid for any insurance, a couple of years ago over £1000 was taken from my card by a company in Guernsey. I have no idea who they are or what they do, contacted the CC company, filled out a very simple form which said I hadn't bought anything from this company and the money was refunded within a week no questions asked.
Only annoying bit about it is I would really have liked to know if this was someone trying to steal from my card or some sort of mistake. But never mind I got the money back and that is whats important.

Forum Editor 18:20 20 Apr 06

because the card doesn't have any money to start with - it's a credit card, and whewn you use it to buy something you're effectively borrowing the money from the card company which pays for your purchase.

If you card is fraudulently used, you don't suffer any loss at all - provided you have taken reasonable care with regard to the security of the card, your card issuer will take the hit.

Teaboy 17:18 21 Apr 06

Thank you everone that cleared that point up.I was in some doubt as my card issuer presses in surance cover for theft of the card or fraudulent use of same!

Anna_Anderson 01:46 18 May 06

I also have become a victim of credit card fraud.
15 days ago i received my credit card statement from the bank and noticed, that a 460.34 GBP charge appeared on my statement from a webstore called pc-cooling.de. i called my credit card company and they refunded my money within 3 days.

SAMMY2005 02:23 18 May 06

i've experienced the same situation with pc cooling, they charged my card without any notification, but the amount was smaller - 104.34 pounds, i called my bank and told them, that my card was used fraudulently and they told me, that my money would be credited back within 7 days.

rmcqua 15:19 18 May 06

I recently had just over £200 deducted from my account, the only trader i/d being "Dundee" and the c/c company said it fell within the category "hotels, restaurants and resorts". So, someone in Dundee (or several people) had a good meal on my account. C/C company refunded the amount in full as soon as I had registered with the police.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…