Internet CD,s

caast ©? 21:47 21 Jul 03

I got my subscription of PC Advisor September Edition, and as usual a couple of CD,s for AOL and Tiscali.

I used to save them at one time in a hope that they would come in useful, much the same as my brother is waiting to find something to do with his box full of old toe-nail clippings. However even though I have read many postings on what they could be used for, none of them were for me.

Today though I had a thought, which nonetheless is not a first it is quite extraordinary.

So this thought I share with you, although someone has probably had the same contemplation long before me, yet in the unlikely event I have stumbled accross a unigue notion

pj123 21:57 21 Jul 03

What?

caast ©? 21:59 21 Jul 03

waking up the mouse.
Lets start over:- I got my subscription of PC Advisor September Edition, and as usual a couple of CD,s for AOL and Tiscali.
I used to save them at one time in a hope that they would come in useful, much the same as my brother is waiting to find something to do with his box full of old toe-nail clippings. However even though I have read many postings on what they could be used for, none of them were for me.

Today though I had a thought, which nonetheless is not a first it is quite extraordinary.

So this thought I share with you, although someone has probably had the same contemplation long before me, yet in the unlikely event I have stumbled across a unique notion, maybe we should ask all the publishing companies to make an effort to implement the scheme.

This would involve distributing all this unwanted soliciting on Re-writable CD's the cost would not be much greater, and we could use these to copy our backup files, music and the rest. I have a feeling it would be much more environmentally friendly also as the things are not degradable.

What do you feel , or am I too late?

Yes

Stuartli 00:50 22 Jul 03

Why didn't you explain this idea in about a dozen words?

It would have been far more effective.

If it is not a first, it is not extraordinary, even though you believe that someone else may "have had the same contemplation as you" - not withstanding the unlikely event that you "have stumbled across a unique notion."

Sorry to sound so scornful, but it is a lot of waffle for what seems, on the surface, an idea that could be successfully implemented.

I would not agree that the contents of most cover disks are unsolicited - we are well aware that magazines provide such disks.

The question is whether what they contain is of value, or otherwise, to our own particular requirements.

Most subscribers/casual buyers will find at least one or more of the programs or utilites prove very worthwhile or useful.

In fact it's probably a key buying point for the causual buyer perusing a newsagent's stand housing several computer magazines....

davidg_richmond 01:27 22 Jul 03

Cost of buying and mass burning CD RW's MUCH MUCH greater than cost of hiring a firm to press CDs (a very different process).

Unless you could set up a firm which somehow presses CDRWs on a grand scale it would not work I'm afraid.

DieSse 08:08 22 Jul 03

davidg_richmond's quite right - commercial CD's are produced by a pressing process, and in bulk are very cheap and very fast to make.

Writing CD's individually would be prohibitively expensive, and take forever. You can't "press" a CD-RW - it's inherently a writeable only medium.

Sir Radfordin 08:17 22 Jul 03

Its a nice idea but as pointed out cost for one thing would prevent it from happening. Am fairly sure that in the pre-CD days when AOL was sent out on floppy disk they always used to remove the read/write tab to prevent the casual user from being able to use the disk for something other than its original purpose.

jnevill 13:19 22 Jul 03

Well if we are stuck with freebie CDs (especially AOL ones) that are not required perhaps people should come up with other uses for them. How about sticking five or six together, one on top of the other, and selling them to clay pigeon shoots....PULL!!!!!!

John

caast ©? 15:29 22 Jul 03

Well a least it provoked some reaction.

Things do change and in the PC world usually much quicker than other area's

Sometimes a little communication does get a response from people. At least we can now remove the CD's without tearing half the magazine apart from that awful gel stuff, even if they do go straight into the land fill sites (never to degrade).

jhazor 15:33 22 Jul 03

Always used the old standard coaster method of dealing with unwanted discs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…