Internet based vs "in a box" antivirus/spyware

katrina.oconnor.568 13:45 23 Mar 05

Sorry to bring this topic up (again)...

I'm about to invest in a new laptop, which I will use primarily for surfing and playing a few games on.

What are the pros and cons of both 'internet based' and 'buy in a box' anti virus/spyware/adware.

Are the free(?) DLs worth it?

Reason I'm asking is that on my old laptop I was running VirGuard which was a free DL from a German company, which I thought was perfectly adequate, until I ran SpySweeper3 and it found MS Blast lurking on my HD.

BTW, is SpySweeper3 any good (I bought it as an emergency cover after being advised to buy some anti-spyware software, and bought this based on reviews on Amazon)

Any particular recommendations? thanks

pauldonovan 13:50 23 Mar 05

I'm assuming that VirGuard is a virus scanner. Viruses and spyware aren't the same and you need different tools (or a suite) to tackle them.

I've never heard of VirGuard but you should be looking for 'best of breed' in each category of:

i) spyware/adware removal
ii) Virus scanner
iii) Personal/Hardware firewall

Yes you can get a suite that handles them all but also you download 'free' individual utilities. There's another thread on this here:

click here

I'd recommend AVG for virus and I use winpatrol to keep an eye on spyware/browser hijacking and I've got a hardware firewall in my adsl router and I haven't had any probs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…