Internet banking fraud

Graham. 09:14 14 Apr 08

Got a call from my bank yesterday - someone had registered my credit card details with Napster, often the first stage of fraud, they said.

To combat this, they are going to issue a Card-Reader that will generate a unique code for use in OnLine banking.

Just thought you ought to know.

Sapins 09:23 14 Apr 08

Also, most credit cards can be"protected" for online use by registering them with Visa and Mastercard protect, details can be found on the card issuers site. You then have to give a password to the supplier/shop when you order online.

belfman 10:01 14 Apr 08

Verified by Visa

click here

Clapton is God 11:54 14 Apr 08

If someone's used your card to register at Napster (or anywhere else) it's probably been cloned.

I assume that your card issuer has cancelled the card and are issuing you a new one with a new number?

If not, they should do.

My MasterCard was recently cloned and used to withdraw the equivalent of £200 from an ATM in Milan.

Apart from the fact that I've never been to Milan in my life, my bank's Fraud department called me to alert me (they knew that using my credit card to withdraw cash was not my 'normal' use of the card).

They refunded the money, cancelled the cloned card and issued a brand new one.

mahalo 16:52 16 Apr 08

I have received cards readers from our two banks, have tyo say I haven't a clue how to use them !

Clapton is God 17:09 16 Apr 08

"I haven't a clue how to use them"

May I suggest that you either:

Read the instructions

or

Wait until next time your online banking requires you to use the reader. You should then be walked through the process on-screen

Graham. 17:17 16 Apr 08

The reader generates a random number every 10 seconds or so. This is replicated at the bank. You enter this number during a transaction and the system checks they are the same.

You will see a 'count-down' if the number is about to expire. Then you have to wait for a new one.

This is how it was at BT, anyway.

Graham. 17:19 16 Apr 08

This should prevent the card being used by someone who only knows you card number.

ronalddonald 00:05 03 Jun 08

Whats the situation with your card has it been resolved? Have notified your credit card company? Have they spoken to you over what tod do n this situation?

Graham. 08:03 03 Jun 08

When the bank first contacted me, they had already stopped the card until they spoke to me. Then they stopped it permanently and sent me a new one with a new number. A few days later I received a reader.

WeakLink 18:26 08 Feb 09

8 Feb 2009. I live in the States and the same thing just happened to me. I use online banking and did the usual routine check of my credit cards and saw a 1 pound charge on my Mastercard. Thought that was odd. I paid off my card and should have had a zero balance. I called my bank and was told it was for Napster UK. I'm not a music downloader and even if I were, I wouldn't use the UK site. The support person (he had a strong eastern European accent) said nothing could be done until the transaction is posted on Tuesday. I tried to impress upon him my fear that this was a test charge and more was to come. The best option may be to close out that card and have a new one issued to me. The last thing I need to see is a $3000 charge for something I would never do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…