Intel mobile centrino processor - opinions?

May$ 15:43 20 Oct 03

I looking to buy a laptop with wireless connection when I saw an advert for a laptop with the centrino processor.I have looked around but they tend to be quite dear. Also , the processor speeds seem to be quite low (1gz). Can anyone tell me why or give opinions on its performence. Thanks

Gaz 25 17:49 20 Oct 03

It is designed to be portable, and even still use less battery power, but dont get me wrong. They are still very fast.

caleb2003 18:36 20 Oct 03

Don't know the mechanics of it but..
The processor speed is misleading.

My 1.5ghz Centrino is supposed to be as fast as a 2.3ghz Pentium 4.

Pumas 00:14 21 Oct 03

Don't be fooled by the low clock speeds. I've been looking to buy a notebook as well and found this regarding centrino click here.

This example is a 1.7GHz but I think this margin is roughly proportional down the range.

Pumas 00:18 21 Oct 03

Some might find it rather amusing that Intel are now suffering by people thinking that processors are slow because of low clock speeds after they defended against the ?Megahertz Myth? so strongly.

davidg_richmond 01:00 21 Oct 03

I have an Advent 7030 with Centrino, its a 1.3Ghz model with 256Mb RAM.

When the clock speeds are compared, the Centrinos perform well against desktop CPUs only when on battery, as desktop CPUs (even the P4-M models) drop speed by a large margin due to the lack of raw power fed by a laptop battery. The P-M however is designed to run off battery and therefore sustains its speed except where it is not needed. I get up to 5 hours battery life (about 3 1/2 watching DVDs) and I'm very pleased with it. I don't need raw power out of my laptop as my desktop is there for games and photo/video editing.

If you have similar requirements to myself I would heartily recommend a Centrino notebook. It works very well in connecting to my desktop wirelessly too andis a lot lighter and thinner than most notebooks on the market.

DieSse 01:08 21 Oct 03

Pumas link is very helpful, if you read it carefully.

You will see there is no such thing as a "Centrino processor" - just two type of mobile Pentiums.

The slower clock speed model used in Centrino technology systems, has twice as much on-chip cache memroy - this (and some extra design changes) account for it's extra performance at lower clock speeds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…