INTEL CORE2 DUO SYTEM

LABMAN 12:58 15 Jul 07

Hi folks,

I've been trying to convince she who must be obeyed to let me get a new PC as my old Athlon XP2400 is really showing it's age when it comes to making DVD's from AVI files.

The system I'm looking at is as follows:

PROCESSOR: INTEL CORE2DUO E6320
DUAL CORE SKT 775 4MB CACHE

CASE: MIDI ATX 400 WATT 24 PIN PSU

MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK 775 CONROE 945G-DVI

HEATSINK: OFFICIAL INTEL CORE2DUO SOCKET 775

MEMORY: 2GB OF DDR2 667

HARD DRIVE: SATA 2 MAXTOR 160GB 7200 RPM HDD 8MB CACHE

OPTICAL DRIVE: LITEON / NEC DL 16X+/16X-

GRAPHICS: ON BOARD INTEL GMA

The system is priced at £299.95 and can be upgraded to an E6420 for £10 (XP home is £62 and Vista Home Premium £79), do you think it's good value for the money and should I fit a graphics card of some sorts as I'm not into gaming at all, just surfing the net and watching DVD's.

I'm also considering fitting a SATA optical drive as I have a 250GB and 320GB hard drives I want to fit and the Motherboard only has one EIDE connector.

Many thanks for all and any opinions on this,

Peter

GaT7 15:24 15 Jul 07

Yes, value's not bad. It's probably a lot more powerful than you need but should last you a good few years.

If you're not into gaming, then the onboard graphics should be sufficient for the PC's use (should be easily upgradeable if required).

To fit more IDE drives you can get an IDE PCI controller card click here. Note that this will leave 1 PCI slot free. G

P.S. ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI specs for reference click here

LABMAN 19:11 15 Jul 07

Hi Crossbow7,

Thnks for your input as it's much appreciated, I can't afford to get a new system that often and all the information I have read advise that the core2 duo setup is the way to go these days. That's my main reason for opting for this system as opposed to a Pentium D or Athlon dual core sytem, which to be honest aren't that much cheaper anyway.

I had read about the IDE controller cards previously but as you you know the Motherboard only has the two spare PCI slots and I'd rather keep them for future use thats why I was thinking of going for the Sata optical drive as the Motherboard has support for four Sata devices.

I'm espeically glad though that you feel the onboard graphics should be more than adequate for my needs as obviously there is no need to spend £30 or £40 then on a basic graphics card, and, mayby with a bit of wrangling with SWMBO it could upgrade the processor to the E6600.

GaT7 20:59 15 Jul 07

With the advent of USB, firewire, etc, there appears to be decreasing use for PCI slots, so I wouldn't be worried about using them all up.

I just found that you could get an IDE to SATA convertor/adaptor: click here - this one's apparently bi-directional. IDE to SATA search click here= (items in the UK only) - note that some do one job only: connects a SATA drive to the mb's IDE port or, IDE drive to the SATA port.

Another option would be to house the one remaining IDE drive in an external USB/firewire enclosure - get a quality good one with sufficient cooling though. G

LABMAN 23:02 15 Jul 07

Hi Crossbow7,

that last link does look really interesting as I didn't know such a setup exsisted, just goes to show that you learn something new on this site everday.

I had considered getting an external enclosure for one of the drives but as you say it would have to be a reasonably expensive one and I'm pushing the boat out for the system as it is, besides I already have a 160GB external hard drive conected to my pc and a second 80GB used for backing up my wifes laptop and my sons PC when it's required and dont fancy the idea of another on my desktop.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and for your input though and especially that last link, I've bookmarked it to have a better read through it at my leisure tomorrow.

I'll tick this as resolved and thanks again.

Peter

LABMAN 23:03 15 Jul 07

Hi Crossbow7,

that last link does look really interesting as I didn't know such a setup exsisted, just goes to show that you learn something new on this site everday.

I had considered getting an external enclosure for one of the drives but as you say it would have to be a reasonably expensive one and I'm pushing the boat out for the system as it is, besides I already have a 160GB external hard drive conected to my pc and a second 80GB used for backing up my wifes laptop and my sons PC when it's required and dont fancy the idea of another on my desktop.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and for your input though and especially that last link, I've bookmarked it to have a better read through it at my leisure tomorrow.

I'll tick this as resolved and thanks again.

Peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac