Insurance Quote--beware

alanstan 18:09 15 Nov 05

I know this may be a bit of a gripe but a couple of weeks ago I went online to get some qoutes for my Car ins,

Anytime I go online I ALWAYS give my mobile phone num when companys insist, but this time I put me land line( I am ex- directory and NEVER give out my number)

And low and behold some of these well known ins companys have sold on my details, I know this because people from different companys have phoned me and asked for me by name, and as I said I have NEVER gave out my land line to anyone.........so beware

PaulB2005 07:25 16 Nov 05

TPS - click here

Mike D 07:53 16 Nov 05

The only problem with TPS is that it is voluntary for the companies. A well known insurer, who may be based in Norwich, told me when I said I subscribed to TPS and did not accept unsolicited marketing calls, that, because I had given my name (years before), the TPS did not apply and, in any case, they did not take notice of it.

Mike.

€dstowe 08:13 16 Nov 05

A company with that attitude to TPS and the telephone system in general deserves to be treated with the same contempt that they give to the systems in place to protect the telephone user. Take your business elsewhere.

PaulB2005 08:48 16 Nov 05

I did notice that after having signed up many times to TPS i still keep getting plenty of cold calls.

lisa02 08:53 16 Nov 05

Ours stopped after about a month of signing up with tps.

We were harassed enormously.

spuds 11:05 16 Nov 05

I have a method of placing a code in my name/address details when I submit them to various companies.If unsolicited mail starts arriving, then I can usually tell if my details have been passed onto another company.Doesn't work all the time, but when it doe's, you have the culprit.

One problem that I am going through at the moment, is the phones rings,and picking up the receiver a fax tone seems to be present.Nothing happens in respect of the fax machine, as there doe's not seem to be the usual handshake connection. BT seem very unhelpful, in advising and giving solutions, so I am in the dark so far, annoying as it is.

PaulB2005 11:20 16 Nov 05

Code? Can you give a (edited) example?

spuds 16:14 16 Nov 05

One example.Depending on who is receiving your name and address, a simple change in perhaps number. Say you live in a road with straight forward numbering, just add an 'h' or something similar.If the Royal Mail or couriers are fully aware of the road/street numbering,then there is no problem. Your house number is say 12 it now becomes 12h.The same can apply to your name or perhaps an estate that you live, just do a slight alteration. Very simple, but very effective.

PaulB2005 16:21 16 Nov 05

Nice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…