Incorrect product listing - Pixmania: BENQ FP222W

mr.hope 01:33 10 Jan 07

Last week I purcased a 22" LCD display from online retailer Pixmainia - click here. I purchased the BENQ FP222W (The version of the screen which comes with a VGA & DVI input port). Yesterday I received the new gleaming monitor to find it was in fact the FP222Wa (the version with just a VGA port and no DVI port)!

After a little bit of a research, it came to my attention that it was not my mistake, as Pixmania clearly advertise the FP222W model, along with the DVI port in spec sheet on their site. What I find puzzelling is the fact they [supposingly] don't actually sell or stock the FP222Wa on their site, yet they managed to send me one.

I have also noticed that SavaStore - the only other site who [supposingly] sell the FP222W monitor actually stock the VGA version under the DVI/VGA product number. The only difference here is they specifically mention the screen only comes with a VGA port in the spec sheet on their product listing.

The other 6 or 7 UK online retailers stock the FP222Wa monitor at around £200 - £230, and advertise it under the correct model number.

I paid £255 for my FP222W (which is really an FP222Wa [£211]), and I beleive that Pixmania do have it wrongly advertised on their website. The only thing left for me to fear is that when the return is sucessfulyl carried out, I will receive the same VGA-only monitor instead of the correct DVI / VGA monitor.

If this is true, then it means there are no online UK retailers who actually stock the DVI version of BENQs' 22" widescreen! Has anyone else had this problem with an online retailer incorrectly advertising a product?

terryf 01:40 10 Jan 07

I personally had a lot of trouble with Pixmania and ended up getting a Canadian friend to translate a letter into French that I sent to the managing director, go to google and search for 'pcadvisor forum pixmania' and you will find it better than the forum search engine.

terryf 01:42 10 Jan 07

PS Pixmania looks like a uk site but is actually French based and also (I believe)partly or wholly owned by the Dixon's group

mr.hope 01:51 10 Jan 07

I noticed it was French too. I even received a slly 2-pin european plug when I opened the box yesterday. I have contacted their UK support number (08700118117) a number of times in the past 2 days, but they have not been as helpful as I would have liked.

Yesterday the lady told me I would receive 2 emails - 1 informating me how to go about filling out the returns form, and another regarding my pick-up of the product. I called back earlier after 24 hours of not receiving my email(s) and I was told I did not need any formal instructions, instead I needed to fill out a returns coupon. I did that, and now im waiting for that email (which i was assured of again on my 2nd phonecall to pixmania) containing the pick-up detials of the courier.

It's a LOT of hassel, and to think I might just get that same wrong product again is daunting :(.

spuds 14:41 10 Jan 07

Pixmania as been discussed on this and other forums on many an occasion, due to bad service in the main.Since the real bad days, I think Pixmania have been taken over by DSG, but I could be wrong on that takeover, and someone more recently informed could perhaps supply the answer. Personally what I have read about the problems people have had, I wouldn't think of putting them on my internet shopping and retailers list. More so, as the EU still haven't combined consumer law, which covers all member states as one.

I would contact Consumer Direct click here and ask if they have knowledge of any consumer laws that should cover a transaction via France or in this instant. Even the UK Distance Selling regulations may not help in a situation like this, and the DSG Group will have knowledge of this fact. Might be worth contacting DSG (if the own Pixmania), for more advice and possible suggestions perhaps.One thing that doe's effect DSG purchases, is the model reference numbers on some products. Some reference numbers of a very similar (same) product may have a one digit number or word change,or even a slight plastic cosmetic colour change, this is due to a manufacturers reference back to DSG contractual purchasing agreements.

mr.hope 14:47 10 Jan 07

"One thing that doe's effect DSG purchases, is the model reference numbers on some products. Some reference numbers of a very similar (same) product may have a one digit number or word change,or even a slight plastic cosmetic colour change, this is due to a manufacturers reference back to DSG contractual purchasing agreements."

That's what has happened here. I ordered the FP222W and got an FP222Wa, yet it's advertised an an FP222W with al lthe FP222W specs's, so I beleive its an incorrect listing. AFAIK the pick-up is taking place and things are going 'smooth' but slow based on the circumstances. I'll keep you guys posted!

Stuartli 15:36 10 Jan 07

Stick to known and reliable UK online sources.

I speak from experience about another French outlet after ordering an expensive Canon camcorder on behalf of one of the offspring.

After all the trials and tribulations over approximately three months and eventual credit card company refund, it was discovered that LetsGoDigital sold the same camcorder at £150 less.

wjrt 22:34 10 Jan 07

click here
if you get refund then take your money and run

Fellsider 10:53 11 Jan 07

I have heard that the reason behind these slight changes in in model numbers ia so that when a store states 'If you find the exact same prodect elsewhere cheaper..... etc' You can't because they are all different.

mr.hope 21:19 11 Jan 07

Hmm, it still doens't make sense to why retailers are allowed to misdirect consumers into buying wrong items. It only causes further hassel. On the bright side, today a parcelForce van picked up my monitor for returns to FRANCE! Guess i'll have to wait a number of weeks, by which the proce ofhthe monitor will probably floor-rocket, and i'll be in a loss regardless of what screen I get back.

Snec 23:01 13 Feb 07

Was the price a bit high anyway? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5