I'm impressed

Kate B 16:38 06 Nov 05

I've been using Microsoft's Desktop Search for a few days and I have to say that it beats, hands down, both Copernic and Google's desktop search apps. Fast, accurate and the interface doesn't look too plasticky.

Maturin 17:09 06 Nov 05

this MS desktop search is an excellent utility. I use it at work (GP) during consultations to find elusive documents for patient info leaflets etc. Very fast, and accurate across my whole network.

GaT7 19:04 06 Nov 05

There's a desktop search group test over at click here - is a bit dated though, March 2005.

Would the MSN Desktop Search be the same as Microsoft's Desktop Search? If it isn't, can someone please provide a download link for the latter. Ta, G

Forum Editor 19:25 06 Nov 05

it's excellent.

Crossbow - yes it is, and here's the link:-

click here

GaT7 21:02 06 Nov 05

Thanks FE. Looks good - going to try it. G

Forum Editor 15:45 07 Nov 05

is that I was running the MS Desktop on a test machine, and was initially delighted with it. However, a gremlin has appeared today.

The machine in question is running MS Office 2003 Professional, and we found that Outlook is crashing each time we delete a message from the inbox. The famous "Outlook has encountered a problem, and will now close" started to appear.

In addition - we use an automatic backup program called Folder Clone, which works perfectly in the background, backing up selected data folders to an external hard drive every few hours. This program has been running quietly and faultlessly for months, but no more. Since installing the MS Desktop search we discovered that FolderClone can't complete its backup task, and is being mysteriously turned off.

That's enough for us - we uninstalled the Desktop search half an hour ago, since when Outlook 2003 has worked normally, and FolderClone is once more ...well, cloning folders.

Sorry Microsoft - time to get debugging.

Maturin 21:26 07 Nov 05

thanks for identifying this. I have been scratching my head for ages trying to work out why my Outlook 2003 crashes everytime I delete a message.

It does seem a shame to lose the MSN desktop search, but i shall delte my program now and use an alternative (google desktop 2 for instance).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…