Iiyama replacement policy

RichardDGibson 23:09 05 Oct 04

I bought a Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 19" monitor in April this year and was very pleased with it until August when it completely stopped working - no image at all.

I phoned my supplier, Misco, who gave me the number for Iiyama. I phoned them and a replacement was dispatched next day. Great!

It stopped working after 3 weeks and I noticed, when I was talking to them to get it replaced, that its date of manufacture was Dec 2002 (my initial one was December 2003). Again they sent me a replacement but I rejected it when I saw that the date of manufacture was December 2001.

After lengthy conversations they agreed to send another replacement which arrived today. This one was made in June 2002 and I called Iiyama to complain before finally rejecting it.

Their position: they will swap for new if it fails within 30 days otherwise the 3 yr warranty provides a replacement. (Of any age).

My position: I understand that if I had had the monitor for 2 years I would not reasonably expect a brand new replacement. However, I have had only 4 month's use of a monitor and to expect me to accept a 2 or 3 year old one is not reasonable. I had been promised that the one arriving today would be no older than December 2003.

I'm obviously not happy with this situation. If I wanted a 3 year old monitor I could have bought one refurbished for £50. I didn't and I paid top dollar this monitor.

What are your thoughts?

Forum Editor 00:03 06 Oct 04

are that your new monitor failed within six months of the date of purchase, and therefore under the terms of the supply of goods and services to consumers regulations the fault is deemed to have been there on the day you bought it - unless the retailer can demonstrate otherwise.

Your contract was with Misco, and it is to them that you should have looked for satisfaction, not Iiyama, who will only act within the terms of their manufacturing warranty.

Unfortunately the waters have been muddied by the fact that you've accepted replacement monitors - you no longer have the original with which to press your case. In the circumstances you're a bit stuck, and my best advice is that you press Iiyama really hard on this. They have a reputation for making superb monitors, and in the circumstances I feel they owe you something better than a 2 or 3 year-old monitor. Get a bit pushy - but not in an aggressive way.

Stuartli 09:53 06 Oct 04

I've only needed to contact iiyama once over my five-year-old S702GT 17in monitor - about 10 minutes after discovering that dabs, who had supplied two of these monitors, had sent one brand new one and another that was clearly a returns item.

I knew that because there was a business card from the Cotswold computer company that had returned it and the fact that all the plastic coverings on monitor cables etc had been opened.

Because I was so angry I decided to contact iiyama direct so that they would be aware a returns item was being sold as new.

The reaction couldn't have been bettered. Within minutes of explaining the situation, iiyama had arranged for a courier to call next day with a brand new replacement and to collect the dabs supplied monitor. There were also profuse apologies although it was clearly not iiyama's fault.

Next day the new monitor arrived and it, along with the other one, have worked faultlessly ever since.

RichardDGibson 10:46 06 Oct 04

Thanks for the advice but I don't think that I qualify for the cover you discussed - this was bought through work for business use so I'm told it falls outside the consumer regulations.

I have gone back to Misco who are pushing Iiyama on my behalf.

From what I've read Stuart's experience is much more typical of Iiyama but I have picked up a couple of things that might explain my problems. This monitor is now discontinued and apparently has a relatively low failure rate so there are very few "newer" ones around that have been refurbished - hence the old tat that they keep sending me.

Still not happy though,

spuds 11:45 06 Oct 04

Sorry to sound a little abrupt, but consumer law covers both business and private individuals. Your rights are similar or the same.

Most retailers rely on the product manufacturer for help and service, especially were items like monitors are involved [ie the manufacturer is the expert]. You may find that most monitor manufacturers offer a swap-out service, which involves the replacement being 'equivelent too or better than', which could mean that you have a better or equivelent product younger or older than the original.The replacement product should arrive in full working order with the continuing warranty, including lost days,from the date/time of the previous or original warranty.You should not lose any warranty time from the original contract.

As the monitor is only 5/6 months old since purchase, I would press for a later manufactured unit, and make this clear to Misco and Iiyama. Nothing like having a product, that as been in storage or lying around for a couple of years. Doesn't give the correct impressions, doe's it!.

Forum Editor 15:37 06 Oct 04

When your business purchases goods or services from another business you do indeed have the same implied rights as a consumer would have if purchasing from you, but...............

Whereas the consumer legislation ensures that basic rights cannot be excluded from contracts between businesses and consumers it makes no such provision for contracts between one business and another. In essence the Unfair Contract Terms Act of 1977 makes it clear that businesses are free to enter into whatever contract terms they might agree between themselves, and the onus is on the purchasing business to ensure that it's happy about the terms of any contract.

In practice this is hardly likely to affect the simple purchase of a computer monitor, and you may almost certainly assume that your rights in this case are the same as anyone else's.

I repeat my earlier advice - your contract was with Misco, not Iiyama, although most retailers adopt the practice of referring you to the manufacturer where monitors are concerned. Iiyama has no obligation to you in law, other than its undertaking in the manufacturer's warranty. The company has an enviable reputation for quality however, and I would push hard for a 'younger' monitor. The manufacturer's warranty is unlikely to get you a new monitor - that's something you could have pursued with Misco, and to be honest it may well be worth going back to them about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…