If you've a Marks & Spencer online account please

BJN 16:58 28 Sep 07

Anyone with a Marks & Spencer online account, a word of warning after what has happened to me today.

I received an Email saying that I’d ordered some goods with a different persons name address etc. I logged into my M&S account to find a ladies name address, telephone number and credit card details and the default delivery address changed to her address. I telephoned M&S and the person said I had a similar Email address to the person ordering strange mine Google Mail hers is AOL, this seemed strange as you also need a password to access the account. I asked M&S to close the account as the other person may also be able to view my details. 6 hours later the account was still active and both sets of details still there, I could if I’d been dishonest have charge the ladies credit card and ordered items to any address I wished from M&S.

I telephoned the lady and she informed me that she had ordered the goods by telephone, I was pleased that she had not used the internet so had not used my email address and password to place the order. I became more outraged that someone at M&S had added another person details to my account. The question is how safe is your details if your using M&S online or telephoning orders.

I finally telephoned M&S head office and they where very helpful and concerned that they had made such a mistake and would investigate. So if you have a M&S online account check out your stored details please, hopefully it was a one off error.

Even large company’s can get it wrong, but M&S I’d expect to be up there with the best regarding personal information.

Bj

spuds 18:09 28 Sep 07

You did right by contacting M&S head office and placing this matter on record. M&S use many third party companies in the day to day running of the company. Their finance service side is dealt with by a well known third party finance house, so strict security measures would be the order of the day there.Not sure about the shopping on-line service though, and who runs that.

exdragon 19:15 28 Sep 07

A propos of this - I had to reset my security details and when I rang to activate the settings as requested, mentioned that the security question I'd chosen (What is you favourite food?) had changed to What is your favourite flower? The adviser said it didn't really matter, as no matter what question was asked, the original answer would be accepted. Seemed a bit odd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac