If you get an email about a UK Cards transaction

Forum Editor 18:22 05 Dec 03

telling you that you ordered an iPod for £399 please DO NOT nobr> a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="click here=" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,1);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(1);">phone /a> /nobr> the customer service number on the email.
The mail is a hoax, and the number given is that of the Cambridgeshire Police headquarters. So far today the police have received over 14,000 calls from people concerned that their cards have been charged - which is exactly the result that the sad person who perpetrated the hoax wanted. The individual concerned has a grudge against Cambridgeshire Police (obviously), and innocent people by the thousand have been drawn into the hoax.

Please just delete the mail - the Police would be grateful if you didn't phone the number, you'll just tie up their phone lines.

johnnyrocker 11:39 09 Dec 03

thanks for that i was a bit concerned myself having got one over the weekend, would be interested to find how he/she got so many e mail addresses though.

johnny.

Gaz 25 17:51 09 Dec 03

Thanks for the warning.

Jester2K II 17:58 09 Dec 03

Usual techniques...

Buy lists

Generate lists

Use software that tests mail servers for valid e-mail addresses....

Gaz 25 18:01 09 Dec 03

Isnt the MiMail.L simalar?

click here

Pauper 12:54 13 Dec 03

Quote from local St. Neots Camb's paper (Town Crier)in relation to this:

"A 21-year-old St Neots man has been arrested and released on bail in relation to the e-mail. He will return to St Neots police station on ********"

Not sure if putting the date would have been wise - the estimated 4000 people who called the number might turn up to vent their anger and the St Neots SWAT team would need to work for a second time this year :-)

Blokka 15:57 13 Dec 03

Talking about grudges I read the other day about a chap in the USA who recieved an email to extend his manhood (you know the sort) well he didnt take it to well and threatend to send the senders Anthrax Spores (what ever they are) amongst other bad stuff and is now facing upto a 5 year jail term and upto a $250,000 fine, so remember when your fedup with your junk mail just dont do anything silly ;)

Forum Editor 17:22 13 Dec 03

the Cambridgeshire police received 14,000 calls, not 4,000 - at least that's what they told me when I spoke to them.

I think they knew who was behind this almost immediately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…