If you don't ask you don't get

steve263000 07:46 03 Nov 08

I have been with Virgin for years. I was one of the first customers when they came to my area over ten years ago. Of course they were NTL then.

So I thought that I would ring and see if they could offer me any better deal for my long custom. In the end I got offered an upgrade on my broadband from 2mb to 10mb for only £1.50 a month.

So as the header says, If you don't ask you don't get.

lofty29 09:00 03 Nov 08

I go an upgrade to 8mb for nothing sometime ago, but as everyone gets throttled for a large part of the day it has not made a lot of difference

Cymro. 16:04 03 Nov 08

I tried something similar with SKY a couple of weeks ago. We were upgrading from a basic SKY Digibox to SKY Plus. My Daughter had managed to get her SKY Plus free of charge as a new customer.

I tried all the usual things, customer loyalty as I have been with them since they first started, threatened that I would go to BT and their new offering, and even that I would go to Free To Air via my aerial etc.

I was waisting my time as all they had to do was check my postcode to know that none of the alternative competition was available in my area not at present anyway. So in the end the best they had to offer was that I order my SKY Plus on-line at £150.

Forum Editor 18:48 03 Nov 08

from Speakers Corner.

MAJ 20:44 03 Nov 08

Just cancel your Sky Sub, they'll fall over themselves to get you back, they'll email, post and phone you lots of offers. They did for me anyway, I got a free Sky+ box, free installation and £50 credited to my account.

curofone 22:06 03 Nov 08

When we phoned up sky and threatened to leave them (have been a customer since sky first started in the uk) the call agent said that they can not/are not allowed to give any financial discounts to customers the only thing they can do is put them up a package or two for a few months so if this is true best stay on the one of the lower packages and then every couple of months threaten to leave and see what at extra channels you can get out of them

dagnammit 23:00 03 Nov 08

Due to Sky wanting to shaft me with double charges compared to what a new customer gets I went with Virgin's biggest package.

SkyHD box £75 and £30 install for a new customer... Me? a long standing customer of at least 5 years, £150 for the box and £60 installation. I was planning to take the maximum packages and that counted for nothing when I asked.

I pay Virgin over £100 a month, that's over £1,200 a year Sky lost out on!!!

(I hope an employee reads this)

MAJ 01:03 04 Nov 08

That was my point, you only *threatened* to leave them. I did leave them and as freeview isn't yet available in my area, I had to put up with only the free sky channels + ITV, BBC1, BBC2 and C4 for a couple of weeks, but it was worth it. A couple of months free viewing and free coverage of the Ryder Cup, thanks to the £50 credited to my account, I now have the free Sky+ box (which is brilliant) and I'm on one of the lowest packages (£19/mnth, I don't like the Sports channels and the films package doesn't interest me.

The Brigadier 15:54 04 Nov 08

My speed with Virgin is now down to nearly 56k dial speed when it should be 4MB.
Seriously considoring changing to Sky who i hav TV with.
Virgin dont seem to care!!

DrATty 19:30 04 Nov 08

I must say that my 2Mb/s service has slowed to a crawl. According to the online tests I have tried, I get a good download speed but a very low upload. Both are glacial in the real World. I've tried other connections and they are fine. I'm not expecting 50Mb/s but even downloading e-mail has become a chore. It would take so long to download 350Mb that I'll never hit the cap.
If I was a cynic, I'd say it was a marketing ploy.
The trouble with moving is that I'll have another long contract and who can say it will be any better.
I did 'ask' and Virgin said 'bye then' so that didn't help.

tullie 20:14 04 Nov 08

If you allready have Sky then get BB from them also,doesent have to cost you a penny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…