If XP is so great then why........

Tim1964 23:21 04 Aug 03

Having read numerous post praising XP over win98/ME, why is it then that there are so many Helproom post concerning problems with XP?
I am surprised, no shocked, to see the words 'NEW PC', 'XP' and 'FORMAT HARDDRIVE' in the same sentence.
I did not have to format my HDD on my PC for at least two years (the problems caused by installing too many freebies and demos etc).
The dreaded BSOD may be a distant memory, so do XP users reformat just for the hell of it?

Chegs ® 23:34 04 Aug 03

Cos its hard work finding your way round its enormous size,I was quite happy with 98se,only I went "digital video" which required a couple of hdd's and RAM bigger than 98se could handle.

spuds 23:48 04 Aug 03

Still a great fan of WME,which never caused me any real problems. I recently installed XP Pro,and thought that I had a time bomb on my hands.But to be honest, XP is beginning to grow on me. No problems so far.

Forum Editor 23:55 04 Aug 03

The reason you feel that you see so many threads about Windows XP is that almost without exception it's installed on every new computer that's sold. The Helproom is used by people who may not be computer experts, and for a good many of them Windows XP may well be the first operating system they've used. In those circumstances of course there'll be problems.

If the forum had been running when Windows 98 was a relatively new operating system we would have seen just as many threads about that - and someone would be posting to say that "if Win98 is so great why are there so many Helproom threads about it?" Everything's relative, and I can assure you ( as can anyone else who was in the computer business at the time)that there were just as many problems when Windows 98 was released - but we weren't all using web forums, so we didn't hear so much about it.

Why do so many people reformat their drives? Because that's often looked upon as the answer when all else has failed. The truth is that it's hardly ever necessary to format a drive because of an operating problem - the solution is usually to be found without having to do anything so drastic - but relative newcomers to computing tend to see it as a way of starting with a clean sheet. It's a natural enough reaction - after all, there can be few of us who haven't experienced the total frustration that comes when we feel we've tried absolutely everything, but still the problem remains.

That's where this forum comes into its own. There are people here who know how to track down the cause of pretty well any problem and find a solution - usually without the need to reformat the C drive.

anchor 09:32 05 Aug 03

Call me a luddite of you wish, but I am still happy with Windows-ME.

My only brush with XP was when I bought a new notebook 18 months ago. I found that one of my favourite programmes would not run whatever I tried, so removed XP and installed ME. All the necessary extra ME drivers were available on the Toshiba site; (well done Toshiba for maintaining such an excellent download site).

Jester2K II 09:43 05 Aug 03

And i have clients who still run Windows 98SE and even one or two who run Windows 95 because it suits them.

Its a shame some of your favourite programs wouldn't work (maybe we could have helped) but Windows XP isn't just an upgrade - its almost a new(ish) OS.

I think the FE hit the nail on the head.

Watch this forum in 5 years time and someone will be asking "If Windows 2008 is so great then why........"

DieSse 10:39 05 Aug 03

You've also got to remember that this is a Help Room - people only come here when they do have problems, not when they don't. So ALL posts (well the vast majority) will be about problems.

snoresloudly 20:20 05 Aug 03

Got to agree with the FE, when I got my first copy of win 98 there were no end of problems (most caused by me) I lost count of the number of re-formats/re-installs I had to do, all as advised by "experts" I think most of these fix's were advised as no-one had a clue how else to fix things!!. Now been with ME since it came out and have not had to do owt like that since. Suppose will have to one day convert to the "great OS" but until then?

Tim1964 23:41 05 Aug 03

Fair comments everyone,
I just thought that I would pose the question as the hype seem to make out that with XP the system would be 'uncrashable'(is that a word?)and do 'everything' easier/faster/more reliably.
It just seems that users are formatting after having their PCs for a very short time.

Forum Editor 23:56 05 Aug 03

that the more buttons and dials you give someone the more they'll be tempted to push and twiddle them - it's human nature.

The problem with computers is that all the buttons and dials are digital ones, and the pushings and twiddlings can wreak havoc down among the drivers, or deep in the registry, and there's often no apparent way of going back - even if you could remember how you got there in the first place.

No operating system is uncrashable, and to the best of my knowledge Microsoft has never made that claim. If I was head of operating systems development at Microsoft I would be encouraging my team to build in resilience, not to come up with a system that doesn't crash. Resilience means a system that sees the crash coming and rides it out - takes the sting out of its tail and auto-recovers. You might see the occasional mysterious reboot, but your work will have been saved back to the hard-drive just before shutdown. No sweat, and no lost productivity. That's what I would be dreaming of. Crash-proof? No, but the next best thing.

Those users who are facing a reformat after a very short acquaintance with WinXP are possibly doing so because they innocently twiddled a twiddle too far. We've all done it, and there's no shame in it - but we shouldn't automatically blame the software.

Jester2K II 07:13 06 Aug 03

Those users who are facing a reformat after a very short acquaintance with WinXP are possibly doing so because they innocently twiddled a twiddle too far. We've all done it, and there's no shame in it - but we shouldn't automatically blame the software.

Either that or as discussed in another thread, people see "format c: and reinstall windows" as a "Classic" way to fix problems before trying to resolve the problem first.

And thats not just limited to XP either...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…