Identification of Slimline Optical Drive Configura

fleetchiefgeorge 17:29 17 Nov 05

Some weeks ago, the DVD/CD drive in my Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203 became defective. Having some PC knowledge I went through the usual BIOS and O.S.checks all of which showed that the unit was O.K. However, a dialogue with Toshiba seemed to point to a fault in the Drive Itself.
Consequently I did a search to find a suitable replacement by checking on the specifications of the TEAC unit, against available units from severalm sources. Finally an NEC drive was chosen and fitted, but on start up the P.C displayed a warning "IDE #1 Error". Several checks were made after which NEC U.K. was contacted and they advised that the device was a 'Master' only unit and that the seller would be able to change the configuration to CSEL as mentioned on Toshiba FAQ page that "all Toshiba Slimline devices are set to operate as CSEL by default"
The retailers were contacted on several occasions all with negative results. Finally they agreed to refund the price of the unit. How can it be determined what the configuration of such a device is, before making a purchase? In the detailed specifications,no mention is made that the device is either 'Master' or 'CSEL' or is it to be assumed that they are all Masters as default, only being reconfigured by the P.C. Manufacturers?
My problem now is, where to get a replacement drive which will be virtually 'plug and play'
Any assistance would be great.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…