I would like to watch internet TV without PC

markcomp 16:28 10 Dec 13
Answered

Is there a bit of kit I can connect to the internet and then use to watch TV progs. I don't want to tie up a PC for this and don't want cable TV etc?

iscanut2 16:39 10 Dec 13

Yes..they are called smart televisions. Set up via wifi to your router.

Rob Gibson 11:50 11 Dec 13

Seconded.

Just bought a "Smart TV" - brilliant bit of kit.

We now watch more web-based content than off-air. Spent most of yesterday evening watching Chris Hadfield's videos from the ISS on YouTube. Way to go!

markcomp 14:16 12 Dec 13

Sadly a smart TV is not in the budget as replaced it two years ago, any pother thoughts?

chub_tor 17:17 12 Dec 13

There are a lot of Smart dongle out there this is one from Amazon but you will need an HDMI socket on your TV for most of the dongles.

Roadgiant 00:02 13 Dec 13
Answer

I recently bought an Android box around for £80, DroidBOX iMX6 Android 4.2 TV Box, do a search on Amazon etc, there are others cheaper but can't comment on them. It does connect via HDMI but also has an A/V cable,but you mentioned you bought a TV 2 years ago so would expect it to have HDMI. The IMX6 I have has 4 USB ports so can be used to connect external hard drive,keyboard mouse etc as well as a cable that can connect to an A/V socket. It also has a SD Card slot,Ethernet and wireless and comes with a remote (woukd recomend getting a small wireless keyboard to make life easier) My router is located upstairs where my main PC is and I have a Powerline link plugged into that and another Powerline downstairs near the TV with a 5 hub switch with the Android box plugged into it(also used for connecting Laptop etc to the internet) RG

markcomp 15:54 16 Dec 13

Brilliant reply, I really appreciate it. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…