I would like advice on buying an Ebook reader/PDA

chippywood 11:34 11 Apr 04

I am trying to find out what device would be good for an ebook reader as I travel a lot and hauling a half dozen books around with me is getting tedious.

While looking at ebook readers, the common theme is they are now almost all obsolete.

I did find some RCA REB1100/1200 and Franklin EBM900/911 listings on the click here, but none are available (this is an American site, but I couldn't seem to find any listings at all in the UK).

My main use for the pda would be for ebooks, though diary and contacts would be a bonus.

I also looked at some handhelds, which might be comparable. I know I can download free ebook readers from the net (e.g. adobe, MS Ebook Reader, etc.), but I'm getting a little confused about which ebook readers can be downloaded on which PDA. Never mind memory, CPU, etc.

I have been looking at the same site for handhelds and thought perhaps the Sony Clie PEG-TJ27 Color Handheld (I have a Sony digital camera with memory stick/PCMIA card and wonder if these would be compatible) might do. Or the Palm Tungsten E PDA. However, they seem expensive solutions and the screen size may not be as good as a dedicated ebook reader.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Pete & Maggie

Forum Editor 12:50 11 Apr 04

I travel a lot, and like you I enjoy reading on planes and trains. I do have a PDA, but I don't use it for reading e-books, and I have never owned an e-book reader. I've used one though.........once.

In my opinion the reason why these devices are obsolete, or near obsolete, is that there are few things more excrutiatingly tiring than trying to rtead a book on a screen - it's an awful experience, and one which you wouldn't want to repeat in a hurry.

My PDA/handheld recommendation? The HP iPAQ H2210 or the Palm Tungsten T3

chippywood 12:57 11 Apr 04

Thanks for all your help. I will now give a re-think about ebooks.

Pete and Maggie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…