I wonder if the same massive publicity..

Stuartli 13:30 05 Aug 04

...will be accorded to the followup?

click here

plsndrs3 14:23 05 Aug 04

Not sensational enough and won't pull people on the bandwagon, as the original story did.

Paul

Stuartli 14:59 05 Aug 04

I don't play games, but it does annoy me that thousands of players who enjoy these type of games titles have been branded by the media as potential criminals.

ouijaouija 15:36 05 Aug 04

Yeh, its just sensationalism. Of course, the case is sad, but the media run out of ideas and stories.

Stuartli 15:41 05 Aug 04

>> but the media run out of ideas and stories.>>

Never!

Wes Tam ;-) 15:55 05 Aug 04

Stuartli my mother always used to say to us kids "don't tell stories" when she knew that we were telling porkie pies.

Unfortunately modern reporters love to tell stories.

Stuartli 16:01 05 Aug 04

As a retired journalist I have to strongly disagree with you on your generalisation.

There are always one or two who let the side down in any walk or area of life, so don't brand ALL journalists in such a fashion.

Wes Tam ;-) 16:23 05 Aug 04

Stuartli I qualified reporters with 'modern' :-)

You said they 'never' run out of stories; and it was journalists who wrote the incorrect story which prompted this thread.

Nothing personal - didn't mean to offend - just following the tone of your previous statements.

Stuartli 17:20 05 Aug 04

They would have based their stories on what information was provided by the police.

Initial impressions can often prove wrong as you will be aware (the Rachel heroin death followup story after further investigation is an example) - all the papers carried pretty much the same facts, but some went OTT on the aspect of playing "violent" games and videos.

Sapins 19:31 05 Aug 04

Someone has to direct the responsibility towards parents/guardians who should be seeing that their children do not have access to inappropriate material, I know it's not an easy thing to do, but, they are their children. It is all too easy to let someone else take responsibility, I sometimes think it is actively encouraged. As far as journalists are concerned I believe they publish first and If you are lucky, retract afterwards.

"There are always one or two who let the side down in any walk or area of life, so don't brand ALL journalists in such a fashion". One or two, is that dozens or hundreds?

bremner 19:41 05 Aug 04

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…