I wish to upgrade but the jargons killing me

Hi all,

I have an gateway pc bought for my business back in 98. It runs on pentium II and uses windows 98. I use the microsoft packages and Pagemaker 7.0 for design and writing purposes. Ebay, online browsing, digital photographs, etc. I have a new logitech wireless kb and mouse and altec speakers that I don't really use much.

I am looking to upgrade but thought I might only purchase a base unit and a flat screen. Help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

JerryJay 22:49 29 Mar 04

How much you want to spend? Name your price, someone in here will point a great package to you.

Probably around the £800-£1000 mark, although I am tempted to just go for the mags recommendation of mesh matrix 64 3200+max

cheers
damn this computer

rickimalone 23:08 29 Mar 04

I have just upgraded my system and have been very happy with my purchase:
See it here:click here

I dont know your budget but if you look at the site they have great PC's for all budgets.
I went for power/price and performance and the fact that it had such great features.

AMD64 CPU 3000+, THE POWER TO RUN EVERYTHING FAST

512MB DDR RAM, THE FAST TYPE, TO KEEP THINGS FAST

160GB HARD DRIVE, BIG DRIVE TO STORE EVERYTHING

DVD-RW, CD-RW, + AND A GREAT GRAPHICS CARD

AND A 17INC VIEWSONIC MONITOR WHICH IS GREAT.
(system can be built to order)

From your thread a system less powerfull than this would give you a massive performance boost that you would be able to appreciate. As the good man said before me post your budget and possible future needs of the system and people will point you in the right direction.

rickimalone 23:11 29 Mar 04

Just to add, if you do go with Mesh I have had nothing but great things come from my purchase with them:
On time delivery , well packed and very fast after sales support.

The most impressive thing has been the overall build quailty of the machine and its components which over great value without comprimise on quality.

Cheers for that, I reckon I'll go with the Power PC from Mesh.

JerryJay 00:08 30 Mar 04

Good choice, it will last you 5 years.

"It will last you five years" is a very bold statement to make - especially at the moment with an immenient move to 64bit processors.

I have just advised a friend who has a AMD2800 to hold fire on getting a new motherboard, simply due to the fact that in six to eight months we will be looking at a new platform and the next version of Windows will be just around the corner to take advantage of the new CPU's - granted, XP will not die overnight, but in technology terms everything is out of date before you have even opened the box!

hoverman 08:04 30 Mar 04

".....everything is out of date before you have even opened the box!". That will probably also be true soon after the first 64bit processor PC is available.

My point exactly ;-)

JerryJay 10:14 30 Mar 04

Smiffy99, what do you need the PC for. Are you a scientist who want to find new medician formula or a weather forcaster who try to find out weather in a week?

Tell me what tasks the PC mentioned cannot handle for you in 5 years.

People get PC to do certain tasks, NOT to get latest gizmo toy to show off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…