I think I've been conned

Greetings Friends,
Last November I sent money to the web site of a firm for a particular item and it just hasn't arrived...I had previously contacted this firm with questions re the item and they replied ooohhh so quickly but since then, despite sending several mails, they just refuse to answer me. I contacted PayPal and explained the problem, PayPal confirmed that the transaction took place and the money was paid to the firm. (PayPal have agreed to pay me half the cost of the item). PayPal also said they had contacted the firm but didn't say if the firm would send me the item. I questioned PayPal about this but didn't get any reply from them either.....My question is...Is there any control body that monitors transactions on the net that might help me by looking into this matter. Sorry to be so long-winded, but it's so frustrating trying to deal with this sort of problem..
Kindest Regards,
Mike.

Forum Editor 00:19 21 Jan 08

that monitors transactions on the net that might help me by looking into this matter."

The short answer to that is, 'no' I'm afraid. If the company in question is UK based you are protected by consumer legislation, and there are several things you can do, but if the company is on foreign soil there's little you can do, apart from trying to take legal action via the courts in whatever country is concerned - an often expensive and non-productive option.

If you still feel that PayPal could have done more, and you get no satisfaction from them you could escalate your complaint to our Financial ombudsman:

click here

Kemistri 00:20 21 Jan 08

"Is there any control body that monitors transactions on the net that might help me by looking into this matter?"

No. It comes under the general remit of Trading Standards.

dms05 09:50 21 Jan 08

PayPal (and others) seem to be hampered by UK Data Protection legislation. I had a problem and PayPal/EBay declined to supply more information because they weren't allowed to. In effect they had to protect the rougue trader from the honest buyer. Very odd situation.

I learnt one major lesson from all this - always, but always, buy with a Credit Card, even on PayPal. In my case Paypal refunded some of the £165 I'd paid and Barclaycard the balance. If PayPal had declined to help Barclaycard said they would pay the full sum.

If I understood Barclaycard correctly they will correct any on-line fraud and not just items over £100 as is the case with normal retail sales.

spuds 11:17 21 Jan 08

I agree on what dms05 as stated, having had a similar experience with PayPal.

If PayPal are only going to refund you half of the amount paid, then can I assume that the item cost about £30.00 and PayPal have taken their standard dispute administration costs out of the original amount of money paid via you!.

Dear Friends,
Much thanks for your replies. Sfars I know the firm is in the U.S. and the cost of the item was €350. PayPal said they would have refunded the entire sum but unfortunarely they have some rule that claims should be made within 45 days of sending off the order. I had wasted that much time trying to get some replies from the firm concerned. It's just so frustrating to think that firms like that are allowed to 'get away' with what is a blatant con. I will just put this one down to a bad experience... Thanks again
for all your kind input. Mike.

PalaeoBill 18:52 21 Jan 08

I know this thread is ticked but just in case you check back (or dms05 for that matter). The Data Protection Act only relates to individuals not companies or businesses. If you think that you were dealing with a trader, tell PayPal that and they should give you the contact details.

Hi PalaeoBill,
I know that PayPal have been on to the firm(?) concerned and I asked PayPal if the firm intended sending me the goods but, as yet, there has been no reply to my question.
I live in hope ...
Regards,
Mike.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5