I need some impartial advice please!

eric_cantona 11:37 13 Jan 04

I need some impartial advice please!

I am in a bit of a quandry with regards to what laptop to buy.

I have narrowed it down to the Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D7830 but need advice as to what model in the range to buy.

Option 1:Amilo D7830 Pentium 4, 2.6Ghz, 256MB Ram, 40GB, CD-RW/DVD ROM priced at £799. ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 .Now I would want to upgrade the memory up to 512MB straight away for £70 from Crucial.com meaning the total price would be circa £870.

Option 2:Amilo D7830 P4 2.8GHz, 60GB and 512MB RAM, ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 - the rest of the spec is identical. - all for £949.

As you can see, the main differences are the processor speeds, Hardrive capacity and ammount of installed RAM. The RAM isn't an issue as I can easily upgrade myself, but how much difference would the processor speeds and hardrive space really make? i.e. enough of a difference ti shell out the extra £80??? I use my PC mainly for synching with my iPod, playing Champ manager, some Photo Editing and general internet/office stuff.

I could do with some help!

Forum Editor 11:48 13 Jan 04

from the Helproom.

jerichobob 12:23 13 Jan 04

Yes. Buy the best that you can reasonably afford and the 2.8 looks the better buy.

Sir Radfordin 12:42 13 Jan 04

Make sure you check the RAM is as easy to upgrade as you think it is. Whilst the mobo may support more you may find all the slots are already full and so have to buy more than you need and waste some.

wee eddie 12:42 13 Jan 04

RAM for laptops is expensive and frequently difficult/impossible to fit.

eric_cantona 13:32 13 Jan 04

I read on crucial.com that the Amilo has 2 slots, 2 banks of 1.

i assume therefore that I would just fill one of the slots with a 512 module.

the thing is that i am loathe to spend too much on a new laptop given the speed at which they develop/depreciate.

would the extra 0.2GHz really make that much difference?

also is the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics chip good?

Basically I want to run CM0304 to its full capabilities!

wee eddie 15:15 13 Jan 04

and considerably more expensive.

I feel sure that you know this already.

eric_cantona 15:20 13 Jan 04

The Option 1 i mentioned is sold out anyway now! So I guess the second option it is for me then!

Although any other suggestions for similar spec pc's under 900 is gratefully accepted!

jaydeeace 17:47 13 Jan 04

I notice that you casually drop in that you play champ man. My impartial advice is get the most power you can - a lot of people are suffering with speed problems (see the community forums at click here!), so the more horsepower, the happier you'll be. Having said that, the main thing to make sure of is that you go for a P4 system like those above, as opposed to anything by AMD or lesser-known chip mfrs... purely from a CM point of view, as I am using an AMD powered machine quite happily at this moment in time.

In the unlikely event that you're not a hardcore CM freak, photo-editing will take up lots of clock cycles (and even more ram, if you work on large images) but besides that, it all looks pretty mundane. Besides, if you could save £80, you could get the next 2 versions of Champ Man instead...

jay123 17:53 19 Jan 04

I have had an f/s amilo D8830 for about 3 months very happy with it, great to use and v.fast. I have the same graphics chip and it worked fine for games including C&C Generals and Colin McRae.
It was all great untill this week when it died. Been isolated at a graphics chip problem, laptop wont even switch on now. Help people have been very good, got through to the help centre right away lunchtime on friday. But am still wating for a call to tell me when they will pick it up. Have been told i will be without my pc for no more than 5 working days if its going to be longer they will suply me with a loan computer for free.
Got mine from NICEPC.CO.UK might be worth a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…