I need to secure my works laptop!

plsndrs3 12:30 15 Sep 05

There have recently been a spate of thefts in my area and I work from home in a conservatory which is not the most secure of places!

I need some way of securing my lappie to give them a reason to leave it alone. Not sure if this would be connected via a cable to a desk, but I seem to recall this kind of thing.

What would be good/reliable & where would be a good place to get one? I take my laptop into the house when I'm not working, but I know Sod's Law states that the one time I don't is the time they come calling!

And yes, currently looking to alarm the conservatory windows, PIR, etc with a very loud siren. That, hopefully, will wake my dog up so that he can investigate what is going on - then most probably just go back to bed :o)

Thanks for help in advance.

Paul

Sir Radfordin 12:37 15 Sep 05

Nearly all laptops will have a slot for use with a Kensington Cable Lock which you can use to secure the laptop to another object. Won't stop someone who is determined but would prevent the "walk in-carry out" option.

click here - must be an UK version somewhere!

plsndrs3 12:47 15 Sep 05

I'll have a hunt round the weblink.

Regards,

Paul

Aspman 14:08 15 Sep 05

Put it in a cupboard out of sight.
Lock it in there and lock the cupboard. Alarm your conservatory if it's insecure.

If the potential burgler cannot see anything worth taking it will lower their incentive to try to break in. Alarms and locks add to that.

Get a laptop with a removable hard drive or work from an external drive so that when you finish work you can carry your important information with you and hide it under your pillow.

Belatucadrus 22:04 16 Sep 05
  wee eddie 22:54 16 Sep 05

The Laptop or the information it contains.

That is your first analysis point.

A Kensington Lock is ineffective against even a small pair of Bolt Cutters.

Protect or remove the sensitive information from the Laptop.

Possible solution - While doing work for a Client, work from an External Drive. Keep that drive safe.

plsndrs3 16:56 21 Sep 05

Sorry for the delay - off hunting for a solution, but I wanted to reply to those who posted!

Need to keep the works lappie safe [blighters would most likely charge me if it went walkies] and, knowing my luck, the time the burglar calls will be the one time I forget to take it indoors -or I become too complacent & leave it in the conservatory for a while, then it goes!

Didn't realise bolt cutters could bypass a Kensington easily. Maybe I should get one of those cabinets things that lock away so that the PC is not easily visible. One of the 'better' ones seem to look like a small cupboard and made of metal so I can padlock & create another thing that needs time to bypass.

Still considering a simple garden shed alarm with PIR as well.

Thanks to all who responded.

BR

Paul

wee eddie 17:09 21 Sep 05

A Kensington Lock, "so long as you have something solid to attach it to", should deter all but the most persistent thief.

In one Office I saw a Kensington Lock in use. It was attached to an Eye, bolted through the Desk top, unfortunately the Eye had a Butterfly Nut on the other end that was clearly visible from the door!

Belatucadrus 17:35 21 Sep 05

"the one time I forget to take it indoors -or I become too complacent & leave it in the conservatory for a while, then it goes!"

True, but it'll be just as easy to forget to lock it in the cupboard.
Kensington style cable locks are designed to stop the opportunist thief, anybody with the foresight to bring bolt cutters probably has a crowbar as well.
A proper laptop safe click here or click here would be the most secure solution, but forgetfulness and complacency will circumvent security better than any bolt cutters can.

mole44 20:11 21 Sep 05

get an old non working laptop put in in there,if a thief comes in he will see it,think bigo result and leave,however the REAL laptop will be hidden and safe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…