I need a new printer.......

GroupFC 11:02 04 Apr 06

I have had an Epson c86 for some time now and it has given up the ghost! - so I am in the market for a new printer.

My printing needs are not great, mainly text (with some graphics)and occasional photos. Unforunately my budget is limited and ideally I would like to get something for under £100 (with as low running costs as possible!).

There appears to be a large number of printers available at all price points, so I thought I would come here and ask for some advice!

Does anybody have any recommendations?

anchor 12:01 04 Apr 06

Hello GroupFC; hope you are well.

We all know about limited budgets, so I will keep the price of my recommendation down. Consider the Canon Pixma iP4200; Best price I could find is £66.89, (incl p/p) from Amazon. A good company in my opinions.

click here

A review in Computer Buyer Dec 05, gave it a Recommended award.

"This printer has a high photo resolution of 9,600x2,400dpi. This doesn't necessarily mean good quality photos; but in this case it does. Colours were reproduced accurately, with even the smallest detail picked out in our test photos. At normal quality text was bold and black. The Pixma iP4000 is a very good printer. It prints both photos and text quickly, and at high quality".

spuds 12:03 04 Apr 06

If you have a spare stock of cartridges for the C86, then why not look for another Epson that use the same cartridges, that might be a saving in itself.I normally pay a £1.00 each for this models cartridges, which beats all the other makes foe economy.

I use Lexmark X5150, which is expensive on original cartridges, self refill about 50pence. Epson C86,HP 590 OfficeJet and Samsung laser. All give great service, and never had a problem with any of them.Possibly a visit to PC World, and check out their selection, will provide some ideas.

961 12:04 04 Apr 06

If you can lay your hands on a PCPro magazine April 2006 issue 138 you'll find a comprehensive report on printers and their running costs

For your stated needs you should get a printer for well under £100, but the ink costs are the key. Basically, printers with the print head in the cartridge (e.g. HP) are generally very much cheaper to run and last longer because, first, if the print head dries out you get a new one with the next cartridge, as opposed to having to pay megabucks to replace the print head if it is part of the printer and, second, the printer does not use nearly so much ink cleaning the heads before use if the print head is in the cartridge

You still need to ensure that you pick a printer that uses cartridges with bigger ink capacities. The very cheapest machines tend to have tiny ink cartridges

GroupFC 12:18 04 Apr 06

Ok thanks people -interestingly enough I had been looking at Canon, and was leaning that way!

I'm off to see if I can pick up a copy of PCPro and as I past PCW on the way, I think I'll call in and see what they have!

Danoh 12:41 04 Apr 06

click here

Although, from memory I thought there were more printers in that lab.

GroupFC 13:22 04 Apr 06

Danoh - thanks for that - I had forgotten that in the world of PC mags. we are of course in May already!

Had a quick look at Computer Shopper and that also has a favourable review of the Canon, so it looks as if that may be the one. In PCW, they had one on display with a few large size prints and they did look good (although of course the original picture must have a lot to do with it!).

Ikelos 13:29 04 Apr 06

just got a canon pixma 5200R, it is ace, very quite, and best of all it is wireless,

Stuartli 13:58 04 Apr 06

I've got an Epson R300 and I've started buying Sumvision brand (of MP3 players fame) compatibles for it at £3.98 for a full set of six plus p and p.

I'm still using the original set of compatibles I bought (99p each) and photos and text documents are excellent. Prints CD and DVD disks as well.

You can also use it without a computer as it accepts a range of memory cards for direct printing.

terryf 15:31 04 Apr 06

Recently bought ip4200, price if reserved on web from PCW was cheaper than instore price even though I reserved it about 1 am and colected about 9 hours later, excellent printer, super photo prints, has a hibernate mode.

pj123 17:57 04 Apr 06

Yes, I have the Epson R200 (now down to £44) same as the R300 but without the card reader.

Also prints direct to DVD/CD.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…