I need a DVD burner which of these?

lixdexik 23:21 07 Feb 07

I am looking to buy a new DVD dual layer burner for my desk top PC.

At the moment I have an NEC ND-3500AG which works fine with single layer DVDs, but it spits out my dual layer discs. (Bulk pack & Datawrite). I looked at updating the firmware on the writer, but that seems fraught with potential problems if the update fails to work. So I thought I would get a new writer. I am thinking about the Pioneer 111/111D 16x, the LG H22A multidrive or the NEC ND5170 18X.

Has anybody out there got one of these machines and used any of the above dual layer discs with them. Or would like to recommend a burner. The 3 above sell for around £25.

Thanks.

Lixdexik.

GaT7 23:44 07 Feb 07

I've got the Pioneer 111D - very good, not managed a coaster so far (only 20-30 disks burnt though). It's probably cheapest at SVP where I got it from last July: click here (official firmware update click here). G

lixdexik 23:50 07 Feb 07

did you HAVE to update the firmware?

was it easy to do?

did you have problems updating?

Sooo many questions.

Cheers Lixdexik. (now off to bed)

GaT7 00:23 08 Feb 07

Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned the firmware update. I remember doing it at the time to eventually flash it to a 111L spec (not mentioned in my link), to get added functionality - i.e. write to DVD-RAM, & LabelFlash click here.

So no, not a must. Yes, it was very easy to do & I had no problems. G

GaT7 00:36 08 Feb 07

If you order from SVP, get anything from this section click here, & you'll get your entire order delivered for 99p - e.g. click here. G

GaT7 01:23 08 Feb 07

It's all coming back to me now!

If you ever attempt these firmware updates, a few things to remember to get things right:

During the flashing process - do NOT interrupt it in any way, & do NOT reset/shut down the system. If you do, your drive is as good as dead & irreparable.

Fortunately, in this case (111D) one cannot mess things up with the wrong firmware as it will not even attempt to flash it.

Also remember if you 'crossflash' it to another model's spec (post of 00:23), the drive will automatically lose its 1-year warranty. G

Stuartli 08:11 08 Feb 07

If you are planning to get a new DVD rewriter as the current one doesn't appear up to the job without a firmware update, then what have you got to lose?

Normally I would only recommend a firmware update if it was absolutely necessary.

I got the Sony AW-G170A10 when it was launched a few weeks ago and it's proved a smooth and reliable operator to date. I paid £just over £22, but it's down to under £20 now and may even be offered cheaper on Scan's TodayOnly page on occasion. See:

click here

Stuartli 08:22 08 Feb 07

The NEC ND5170 18X and ND 7170 are, for all intents and purposes, the same as my Sony - Sony and NEC linked up to produce these DVD rewriters by taking advantage of each other's technology and to cut manufacturing costs.

Not much profit in optical drives these days...:-)

lixdexik 08:56 08 Feb 07

Thanks for info. I looked at the firmware update for my existing machine, but even after the update the list of approved discs was still pretty limited and did not list the discs I have. there were also warnings like, if the update failed then I would have to get the latest motherboard drivers and update the mobo, uninstall all burning software and reinstall, etc etc. With that in mind I think I would prefer one that works off the shelf.
I will check out the links tonight.

Many Thanks.

Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…