I need to admit to you all what i have done!

The Brigadier 11:49 22 Dec 06

I've finished a long term relationship by just dumping her.........throwing her out on the road........yes it's harsh...but i had to do it........no more lies..no more crashing..no more BSOD.......Yes i've chucked Microsoft out of my life!!

I'm now with a tall, sleek, pretty little number in Linux....at last i'm free & so is the operating system i use..no more crashing.

I'm not a microsoft number i'm a free man........

SB23 12:00 22 Dec 06

Good for you !

I've been thinking along the same lines, gathering as much info as possible etc, and I'm very tempted. Have to wait and see.

dth 12:50 22 Dec 06

well done - it might seem a bit strange at first but as time goes on you'll be thinking why didn't you do it ages ago

Pamy 14:28 22 Dec 06

Now you are going to set us all off along those lines. What version are you using and why?

The Brigadier 16:28 22 Dec 06

Version:
Ubuntu.....Free Download...Free to use..
Why?
Vista did it for me, it's simple why keep paying for an O/S when i can use a system more stable, less bugs, less viruses and above all meet a group of poeople on the www community who have the same idea.

I'm not knocking MS after all i have used their products for 10 years, it's just time to move on, i may leave one pc with windows on?

Pamy 16:52 22 Dec 06

Have you found it dificult to use and run programs that you already have or have you had to move to other similar programs?

SB23 16:58 22 Dec 06

Pamy, you beat me to it, that was my next question.

Pamy 17:05 22 Dec 06

I am thinking of buying yet another HDD and trying Linux out in the New Year, that is why I am so interested in peoples experience with it

season8 17:53 22 Dec 06

Problems..Yes..but have found the Linux community to be so helpful.

Forum Editor 18:11 22 Dec 06

Well fair enough, it's your choice, and I hope it works out.

I wouldn't dream of doing the same thing, because I need my machines to run anything I want to install - both hardware and software - and I can't do that in Linux.

I don't want to be bothered with having to ask the Linux community for help every time there's a glitch, I just want to turn the computers on and work with anything and anyone - which I can do in WinXP and Vista. All my clients use Windows machines across their networks, and so do most other corporate networks. Some statistics might help to explain why I would migrate to Linux on my desktops:-

Taken from W3Counter Global Web Stats as at December 17, 2006. based on an analysis of 6,974,802 distinct visits across 4,018 websites.

85% of machines were using Windows XP

5% were using Windows 2000

3% were using MacOs X

2% were using Windows 98

2% were using Linux

On the browser front it's a broadly similar story:-

59% Internet explorer 6.0

25% Firefox (various versions)

6% Internet explorer 7.0

The rest made up of very small percentages of Opera Safari, and AOL.

Z1100 18:22 22 Dec 06

It just does not, it's XP Pro and it seriously behaves. I use one box for work and games. I am fussy what I put on it and really fussy about active content, Flash apps and the like and more so about my surfing habits.

Guess I am lucky or just more carefull. I just don't get it when people fuss about MS Software. It does the job and I think it's the old 'tools and user' story again in most cases.

XP for me...
Hanx!
K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now