I have never had any sarcasm here

Pappyon 16:17 29 Aug 03

I have noticed when trying to get advice in various newsgroups, Freeserve, and Pipex for example that some of the contributors are very rude and offensive, treat you like a complete moron and talk down to you.

It has never happened to me on here. Maybe the moral for me is to seek all my advice here.

The query below is unconnected with my comments above, because I didn't ask about the following on any newsgroups. Please don't think I am cross-posting:-

My Pipex broadband internet connection closed down on me this morning, and after a total of forty minutes on the phone I was told it was the fault of my Firewall, Zone Alarm (Free Edition)
Could this have been the case or was the tech support palming me off with an excuse?

Wes Tam ;-) 16:36 29 Aug 03

This is not a put-down ;) but has it happened before?

I had to dispense with ZA because of compatability problems (not Pipex) and went to Agnitum Outpost.

terminus 16:51 29 Aug 03

I also had a problem using zone alarm when I changed PC's I couldn't send or receive emails the blueyonder BB helpline said it maybe the firewall and changed my POP3 to a series of numbers it worked and like Wes Tam above I changed to Outpost.

Pappyon 17:05 29 Aug 03

Thank you both for the quick response to my post

Wes - Tam

I have been with Pipex Broadband since March, and apart from them supplying me with a dodgy modem, I have never had an instant's trouble due to cut-offs or anything of the nature I have described.
I could leave my connection on 24 hours a day (which I would never do) and it would still be on in the morning. No I repeat, connection-wise I have absolutely no complaints against Pipex.

The symptoms I got were as though Pipex had pulled the plug on me. It was as though I had no internet connection set up whatsoever.

The geezer (Customer Service)told me to disable Zone Alarm, which I did, and I was able to connect immediately. Whether it was coincidental I don't know! I would add that I have never had any trouble with Zone Alarm before either.

Djohn 17:06 29 Aug 03

It may well have been the "Firewall" if it had been set-up incorrectly. It would stop you from making a connection to your ISP, I don't think that Pipex would say so if it was not the case, Can't see what they may gain from it. Hope all is well now. j.

crocodile36 18:18 29 Aug 03

I too have had problems with ZA. In my case, it slowed the computer down. Competely uninstalling it (and removing it from the registry), and replacing it by Sygate speeded up startup by a factor of about 5. I'm using AOL, so it's not only Pipex where it gives problems.

TOPCAT® 23:27 29 Aug 03

... ZoneAlarm Pro has been updated (yesterday) to version: Some stability issues rectified among other things. The free version is usually updated too within a couple of days or so. This latest update just might have fixed some of your problems. I hope this is the case.

All is thankfully well with my Pro installation and Pipex connection. TC.

leo49 23:37 29 Aug 03

It's no good complaining, you've just got to wait your turn. :o)

Seriously,I too experienced a very short downtime with Pipex a couple of days ago, but the service was resumed inside 15 mins. In my case definitely nothing to do with Zone Alarm.

terminus 10:41 30 Aug 03

here the sound of distant dummies falling down, falling down

wee eddie 20:14 30 Aug 03

I can feel stupid without any help.

I have always thought that Gandalf turned a very well rounded phrase. I have often found myself bashing out a pithy response to some ill thought out post in one window. Only to notice in the other that Gandalf has beaten me to the draw, and his response is better put as well.

Belatucadrus 22:32 30 Aug 03

Gandalfs OK, he just occasionally comes down with foot in mouth disease, but it's his sense of humour and not malicious Just take what he says with a pinch of salt, the advice is usually sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…