i GB ram, is it worth it

shamz 19:13 19 Oct 04

the other day my friend purchased a 1GB ram for £600. he says that after he inserted the ram and set up everything, the speed of his computer boosted up by 60% and when he loads the computer it runs through the computer setup very fast and when he plays a game, that needs loads of computer memory,
the game runs smoothly and crisp!!!!!!!!
is this true have you purchased a 1 GB ram and is there any cheap ones????
do you think it is a good idea to buy one???????

Dorsai 19:19 19 Oct 04

Worth it, Perhaps a cautious yes, but at £600, a slightly less cautions no.

I got 1 gig ram, but at a 'slightly' lower price...(change from £100) and am happy..

But if the friend is happy..WHatever floats your boat, as they say.

Forum Editor 19:37 19 Oct 04

That's an outrageous price - you can find DDR PC2700 RAM for around £120 for a Gigabyte pretty well anywhere.

I also find your friend's claim that the memory increase has boosted performance by 60% a tad difficult to swallow - unless he started with a very small amount. I wonder what method he used to measure the speed increase?

All that aside - increasing RAM is still the single best upgrade you can make - assuming that all other components are reasonably specified - and that's particularly true if you work with big graphics files, or play games a lot.

georgemac 20:35 19 Oct 04

cost me £70 so it was definitely worth it

I don't think he could have paid £600 for this?

Smartfish 20:40 19 Oct 04

looks like a typo!

Shams what d'u say? we'r all waiting 4 ur reply!

kinger 22:06 19 Oct 04

1 Gig of RAM is ideal. Windows can't 'use' anymore, I believe, so you'll be operating at the maximum with maximum benefits.

Sir Radfordin 22:46 19 Oct 04

All depends on what you are doing with it. Some servers I use have 4x 3Ghz processors and 16GB RAM and doing most things on them you don't notice the speed difference - but start using them as database servers or application servers and you need that power/memory for them to cope.

Unless you are doing a lot of video/image editing you won't see the benefit of more than 1GB Ram. You may also want to make sure you have a VGA card with it's own memory not using the system memory.

Your friend should never have paid that much for memory of any sort.

sidecar sid 22:58 19 Oct 04

Corsair TwinX 2 x 1GB XMS3200Pro

£405.38

click here

If you're disposable income knows no bounds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…