Hypothetical Warranty Question.

t.long 09:55 27 Sep 04

I brought a retail P4 (Presscot), unhappy with the performance of the bundled heatsink/fan I decided to change it. However on reomving the heatsink it torn the CPU out with it. Obviously this resulted in several bent pins. After some gentle manipulation I got the pins back in line and all is fine. However what if the pins broke, with regard to warranty issues how is responsible.

Would this be my fault/act of god? Because I removed the heatsink, which cause the pins to bend.

Or would it be Intels? They supplied the heatsink and thermal pad which sticked so well to the CPU.

helmetshine 10:45 27 Sep 04

I would have thought that the supplier would argue that you hadn't taken sufficent care when trying to remove the h/sink and that the damage was down to you.You could argue the it was attached so firmly as to make safe removal impossible....but i think you'd lose.

Stuartli 11:26 27 Sep 04

As the damage was caused by you and is certainly not an Act of God, then you are wholly responsible if the CPU does need replacing.

Otherwise, just as an analogy, if you had crashed your new car would you expect the manufacturer to repair the damage free of charge?

t.long 11:51 27 Sep 04

Due to the 'stickyness' of the thermal pad, there was no way to remove the heatsink without it pulling the CPU out, and there was no way of knowing this would happen before the event.

So whilst I pulled the CPU out, this only occured because the Thermal pad was so adesive. So the question is this, should a CPU and h/sink be considered a one time deal, ie. you can not remove/seperate them once attached? Or should you be able to remove safely the h/sink and CPU seperatly in the same manner they are attached?
In the case of the former, entirly my fault/responsibility. So my money if the chip needed replacing. But if you consider the latter option, than clearly the h/sink and thermal pad were not up to the task, so Intels responisbility.

We all expect to be able to pull out AGP, PCI cards, HDD DVD RW etc and replace them, or swap them with other machines. Should the same not be true of CPUs?

I am not sure the car analagy is entirly appropreate, but what about this scenario, again assuming that CPUs h/sinks are designed to come apart once attached. You are drinving you car, you come to a corner, and turn the steering wheel, it falls off you crash. Is it your fault, because you were driving? Or the manufacturers fault because the steering wheel realy should not fall off when being turned.

Stuartli 14:53 27 Sep 04

If the steering wheel did "fall off" and caused you to crash then you would have full claims against the manufacturer under the warranty, plus the cost of the repairs, courtesy car etc.

What I was pointing out was the difference between damage caused entirely by yourself and a faulty component - in the case of the latter the manufacturer's warranty covers the replacement.

t.long 15:01 27 Sep 04

But I would argue the h/sink was faulty because its adesive qualities were so strong it caused the CPU to be torn out of the socket.

Stuartli 16:18 27 Sep 04

It's intended to be like that otherwise the heat generated would cause the fan to fall off or not be as efficient dispersing heat...:-))

My Pentium III Slot1 CPU, for instance, stands upright so the fan needs to be absolutely secure.

spuds 17:19 27 Sep 04

I had a similar problem recently.A techie was replacing a cpu in my computer and he was having difficulty in removing the cpu due to the seal compound.He telephoned me and stated that he would not be held responsible if the lugs broke, and was he to carry on. The final outcome was the lugs did break, and that cpu was no longer usable as a future spare.

Forum Editor 19:19 27 Sep 04

Just one point. Do you have a P4 LGA775 processor?

I have installed one of these quite recently, and it had locking pins that kept the heatsink and fan in place on the processor - you have to rotate them a quarter turn in order to remove the heatsink. It's a far better method than the familiar tension catch that requires a fairly steady hand and a screwdriver to unlatch it. One slip there and you gouge a furrow through your motherboard - the Prescott locking posts are far better.

Do you have the locking posts?

hugh-265156 19:36 27 Sep 04

use very fine fishing line or nylon thread to cut through the thermal pad and allow you to remove the heatsink without any risk of damage if its stuck fast. worked a treat for me before.

t.long 19:46 27 Sep 04

Yes it did have the locking lugs, I unlatched them. It was as I lifted the heatsink up that it pulled the CPU out.

Yes I agree it is better than the tension bar, many time with them I nearly put a screwdriver through the MB. However I was a little concerned on install that the plastic arms would snap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…