HUMAX launch cheapest PVR in UK

SEASHANTY 15:19 14 Nov 03

Korean mfr HUMAX have launched a Freeview STB combined with 40GB hard disk drive for a price less than £200. See Wednesday, Nov 12th news on this website click here
The Humax PVR-8000T also has a short review in the current edition (issue 150) of Computeractive magazine published yesterday.

Stuartli 15:51 14 Nov 03

A very reasonable price, but it's worth noting that your Freeview box converts digital signals into analogue before you actually view them on screen.

The digital side is used to cram more TV and radio programmes into the available bandwidth in comparison with analogue transmissions.

That's why people who claim they get superior TV pictures and sound using Freeview boxes have a vivid imagination.

SEASHANTY 16:27 14 Nov 03

Hi there Stuartli..... and to think I always thought that the superior freeview reception was due to the digital aerial pickup being less susceptible to interference than the analogue signals being received normally. Well!!! I know for a fact that the same TV station I am watching gioves a far better picture from the freeview box than the analogue signal from aerial pickup on just the TV tuner. It also gives a better recording on my Panasonic DMR-E60 DVD recorder. I was drawing attention to this new Humax box mainly because of its HDD which will allow you to remove the VHS tape element of recording. The fact that its incorporated with a Freeview box is neither here nor there. Humax already have a combined satellite tuner box/HDD - something similar to the Sky+ box....but it costs £400 or so.

anchor 17:03 14 Nov 03

See the Humax site for more details:

click here

SEASHANTY 19:26 14 Nov 03

Thanks for that. Apparently a worldwide company. Wonder why I haven't seen any of their products around here?

Tim1964 21:26 14 Nov 03

I will be following the output from Humax closely, as it will be selling the PVR-9000T early next year. This model will have a removeable HDD and an electronic programme guide. Hopefully that may push the price of the 8000T down a bit. I noticed also that the TIVO was highly recommended but the fact that they are no longer produced I would have guessed warranties/repairs/replacements would be a real issue.

spuds 23:00 14 Nov 03

It seems strange that we have UMAX, who manufactures such things as scanners etc, and also a company trading as HUMAX.Checked to see if there is any connection, cannot find any.

DieSse 01:08 15 Nov 03

"but it's worth noting that your Freeview box converts digital signals into analogue before you actually view them on screen."

But after decoding them, it doesn-t put them through a cheap and nasty modulator, to feed into a TVs cheap and nasty tuner to demodulate them again. It bypasses all that and feeds them in directly via a SCART.

The colour purity and lack of noise in the picture is far superior with this method.

Stuartli 08:30 15 Nov 03

I have a Toshiba Nicam TV and have, in the past three or four years, had the Philips and Nokia ONDigital boxes and now have the very classy (and rare) Pioneer version.

The TV picture is superb on terrestial programmes.

I have tried switching many times from the terrestial TV programme to the same programme broadcast via the set top boxes to try and spot any difference and, on every occasion, picture quality has been idential.

Digital is used because it's possible to cram more programmes into a given bandwidth compared to terrestial - it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

Stuartli 08:33 15 Nov 03

I wasn't trying to knock Seashanty's posting of the Humax offering - as I stated it's a very reasonable price.

SEASHANTY 11:26 15 Nov 03

Perhaps if you live fairly close to a TV transmitter you would not notice the difference between the digital (Freeview) channels and the analogue broadcasts. Here at some distance from the Winter Hill transmitters and the difference is very, very noticeable. Using the Freeview boxes from Pace and Grundig has made one hell of a difference in TV quality - especially noticeable on Channel 5 (which is the weakest channel). So I will stick with Freeview. Plus the fact is that you get far more channels than the BBC state. My setup is listing 53 channels but they aren't all broadcasting yet - but far more than 30 are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…