hughes tv and price match or not it seems

frankie 19:46 21 Mar 08

wanted to buy a setanta cam module,on hughes direct its 14.99, went into store today they said oh yes we match our online price if in stock,ok i,ll have one,was in stock,went to till they said 20.99,i said no its 14.99 online,he said oh yes BUT its 6.00 for delivery hence 20.99,i said but your not delivering,reply sorry thats our policy,so i said stuff it thats my policy,will get it online as is still cheaper then elsewhwere,me thinks bit of a con,what do you think,

lisa02 19:51 21 Mar 08

That's common practice for the High Street chains to match online plus postage. It's fair in my opinion afterall that's what you'd be paying and secondly the shops have other overheads to meet.

frankie 20:10 21 Mar 08

is it?not where i live,both comet and curry,s,have price matched for me before with no mention of postage charges,thank for response

lisa02 20:13 21 Mar 08

PCworld (same company as Currys) asked me for the postage cost and Jessops did too.

spuds 00:19 22 Mar 08

Perhaps I have been very fortunate in dealing with 'price match' offers and collecting direct from a store. I have never paid any delivery charges.PC World website 'collect from store' is a prime example.

jack 08:26 22 Mar 08

are very often excessive when compared with you what you would pay over a post office counter for a similar package.
Therefore they must be part of the overall price mix.
So the item itself must be worth more than the price advertised.
Next time anyone happens to come across this action offer to split it- you doth gain
After all you are in the store- I guess that has been a cost to you too -unless you walked there.

laurie53 08:54 22 Mar 08

Slightly off thread, we once bought a kitchen mixer plus a couple of extra blades.

The guy tried to charge us P&P on the blades, on the grounds that he had had to pay it!

I pointed out that if I had specially ordered them I wouldn't mind but these were from stock.

Needless to say we didn't buy the blades, or the mixer.

The silly part is that if he had just added his costs to the price no-one would have been any the wiser and he'd have got a sale.

spuds 13:16 22 Mar 08

Perhaps I owe a slight apology and correction!.

Thinking about it,only on three occasions have I ever paid for delivery on 'purchases' bought direct through/from a store. One was for a King size mattress from Argos, due to store unable to hold stock, and item was delivered direct from warehouse 60 miles away. A frig/freezer from Iceland, again due to to bulk of item and store holding capacity (display stock only). Plus a rather large consignment from DFS. All were booked as 'timed' deliveries with charges extremely reasonable, so I wasn't complaining.

lisa02 17:13 22 Mar 08

spuds [email protected] is matching their own website. They add in postage when it is another company's site they are matching. When I price matched my printer in PCW against Amazon I was asked postage cost but the basic, slowest postage (supasave? - I never use it) with them is free anyhoo so it didn't matter.

"It is the same product and offer including delivery charges " from click here

Forum Editor 19:40 22 Mar 08

The online price of the Setanta Cam & Card is £14:89 plus £6:00 delivery.

That comes to £20:89

The in-store price is £20:89

What's the problem?

spuds 13:18 23 Mar 08

Perhaps collecting from store, then having to pay a £6.00 delivery charge for the assistant to hand over the item.

If Argos or other stores that held merchandise in stock, were to charge additional delivery charges at the checkout, then the annual profit returns would show a very good increase perhaps.

lisa02
If I purchase certain items from (example) Staples, I always go harmed with a few website print-outs. Never paid delivery charge yet ;o)

I do find though, that making purchases from (say) Ebuyer with free delivery, always add the extra incentive in internet shopping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now