HP Sued for Printer Cartridges

MichelleC 08:56 24 Feb 05

I picked this up from another forum. Interesting to see how it turns out.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Georgia woman has sued Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ.N: Quote, Profile, Research) , claiming the ink cartridges for their printers are secretly programed to expire on a certain date, in some cases rendering them useless before they are even installed in a printer.

The suit filed in Santa Clara Superior Court in northern California last Thursday seeks to represent anyone in the United States who purchased an HP inkjet printer since Feb. 2001. HP is the world's No. 1 computer printer maker.

An HP spokesman said the company does not comment on pending litigation.

HP ink cartridges use a chip technology to sense when they are low on ink and advise the user to make a change. But the suit claims those chips also shut down the cartridges at a predetermined date regardless of whether they are empty.

"The smart chip is dually engineered to prematurely register ink depletion and to render a cartridge unusable through the use of a built-in expiration date that is not revealed to the consumer," the suit said.

The suit, which seeks class-action status, asks for restitution, damages and other compensation.

Mike D 09:22 24 Feb 05

Whilst I am not always in favour of litigation for litigation's sake, it would be good if this served as a "wake up call" to the printer manufacturers. I also don't want to fuel a "greedy HP" vendetta, however, I have 2 HP business inkjets, worth about £550, and I am a heavyish user, but I do object to spending getting on for the same amount on ink each year as the cost of the printers themselves.

It's only ink for goodness' sake!

spuds 12:29 24 Feb 05

The debates on ink cartridges as been going on for a very long time.The UK consumer organization have been involved to a certain degree, with no actual remedies forthcoming. I use HP and Lexmark printers. The Lexmark is a good printer, but ink usage can get very heavy.

The Lexmark black ink cartridge 18LOO32 [82] holds about 30ml of ink. The Lexmark 18LOO42 [83] colour ink cartridge contains three chambers, each holding about 5ml each, so making a total capacity of 15ml. Yet purchasing original Lexmark cartridges can cost anything from £17.00 to about £23.00 depending on sourcing.Compatibles from about £15.00 each,again depending on sourcing.In all cases, the coloured in cartridge is the most expensive, even though it contains about 50% less ink that the black cartridge.

What as been previously stated many times, it could be cheaper to buy a new printer, than purchase replacement cartridges. Recently Dell were selling printers at a very highly discounted price. A Dell basic printer for £9.99, and a Dell 3in1 for £35.00 including vat and 2/3 day delivery. Should mention that these Dell models were re-badged Lexmarks.

HP seem to have started 2005 on a very bad media and consumer issues. There is talk that they are considering introducing regional cartridges, so if you buy a cartridge from one specified world location region, then it may not work in your world location region.

Swiscot 13:11 25 Feb 05

It seems that the chip makes the original HP Printer Cartridge and also Pelikan which I use,unuseable when the ink level reaches empty.
Refilling is no big deal but the refills do not work on re-insertion either. Is there a way of resetting the HP cartridge chip like one can buy for Epson cartridges?
thanks, Swiscot

S5W 19:56 25 Feb 05

I use a lot of HP inkjet cartridges, they all carry a warning on the box which says the cartridge will perform for 18 months if it is installed before a preset date. I have not yet had a cartridge that has expired before the specified date. I suspect ink eventually deteriorates to an extent which may compromise the print quality. I did have some Canon B10 ink tanks which worked perfectly after more than 5 years though.

Wilham 21:46 25 Feb 05

HP inkjet black has more pigment than most cheaper makes. Pigment has to be in colloid form and this is expensive compared to water-soluble dye. Ordinary cheap newsprint uses pigment oil suspension, and no good at all with ink jet.

All this doesn't excuse the excessive price, of course.

One of the links below shows the cartridge internal spring. I doubt this is reset on refill,-likely soluble ink needs less push, anyway.

These links may interest....

click here

click here

MichelleC 15:27 26 Feb 05

If it's a cartel then it's not very healthy for us punters. The sooner it stops the better.

Swiscot 15:43 26 Feb 05

Thanks Wilham, your help plus links have turned up trumps. The refills work brilliantly using this easy to do blanking off excercise.

PUNKA 02:55 27 Feb 05

Bookmarked for future use.

stalion 19:50 28 Feb 05

the only hp I like is sauce

speedy12 22:33 28 Feb 05

lol @ stalion

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…