HP Laptop - noisy fans?

hawthorn59 10:30 13 Apr 05

Hi folks.

Im buying a laptop and selling my desktop. Ok. Thats that, decided! Now what Laptop is the problem. I had it narrowed down to 3 I saw in shops locally

HP Pavillion 5464; AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor, 512 Ram, 60G, DVD RW, 64mb Nvidia Geforce Graphics, 15.4 TFT, Modem and Wireless lan, €1399

Fujitso Siemens Amilo A7640; AMD Mobile 64 3200+, 512 Ram, DVD rw, 15 TFT, Modem/wireless, Integrated Graphics €1299

Compaq AMD Aathlon 64 3400, 512 ram, dvd rw, 128 graphics card, NOT wirelass (but card can be added) €1349

Im open to all your comments! I was leaning towards HP, it looked beautiful. But so did the Compaq I have to say. Then I searched for reviews, maybe I shouldnt have! Im now disheartened as the HP series (not my particular one mind you) got mixed reviews. A few reviews complained about a NOISY FAN, now this would drive me MAD!

In one of the shops the salesman said the AMD wont heat up as quickly as the Pentium, and indeed the Compaq with the AMD was cooler than the Compq with the P4.

I suppose Im looking for general comments really, re HP fan and anything else you may have to offer, or your suggestions as to which I should go for.

Is Compaq rated highly?

Thanks all!

Maturin 13:59 13 Apr 05

This has just arrive at zdnet click here. The new range of HP laptops is food for thought if you are looking for one of these. The pricing seems OK, but watch out for specifications. My wife's HP Notebook has a quietish fan and is working flawlessly (2nd year of operation now).

Several threads on this forum on laptop attributes may help you come to a decision.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…