HP Laptop 35 Minute Battery Life!

Faser 07:54 31 Jul 07

I decided to retire my ultra reliable but ancient Time laptop and bought a HP Pavillion DV6000 with AMD Turon 1.8 GHz and 2046 Mb Ram running Vista Home Premium.

The first disappointment was it seems PC manufactures do not fully load the operating software anymore, the “quick setup” took an over an hour. HP also only supply a single page quick start guide which would be of little use to a novice.

The second was that the bundled Norton security did not install correctly and we went into a fun cycle of a pop up saying updates available and then unable to update. Reinstalling Norton update did not work so I removed the whole package and installed a free antivirus.

The third was Vista itself. As an early adopter switching from Win 98 to XP I thought it was brilliant but have over time come to simplify the look and usage removing the garish colours and using a range of simple shortcuts. Vista, people say is intuitive; not for me I really do not like it (like the thousands of Dell customers who asked for XP)

The biggest disappointment was the battery going flat after 30 minutes which is ludicrous. I would have returned the machine as faulty however I found a review on Cnet that rates the battery life as 35 minutes. This is unworkable, the laptop is no desktop behemoth but cannot be thought of as portable.

Fortunately I bought from a shopping channel and can return the laptop within 30 days no questions asked others may not be so lucky.

wee eddie 09:12 31 Jul 07

and I would describe that as "not fit for purpose"

The review I read gives it 155 minutes. maybe there is some other reason for the short battery life, such as not being fully charged

Faser 12:52 31 Jul 07

Sorry posted before I was ready; the review read 2 hours 35 minutes however the moderator has had big arguments with forum users saying that they cannot get near this.

I have tried discharging and charging the battery 5 times and am up to 55 minutes!!!.

wee eddie 12:57 31 Jul 07

Have you contacted the Supplier yet?

Quiet Life 15:33 31 Jul 07

If the laptop is running on the reduced power consumption settings when on battery the time of 55 minutes is unacceptable. The AMD processor is not as efficient as the Intel chips but on the standard 6 cell battery 1.5 to 2 hours depending on application should be obtainable.

second best 01:39 02 Aug 07

i have an hp pavillion running a p4 3.4 cpu.

had it over 15 months now, but used mostly on the ac power. battery doesn't even hold a charge anymore. at best when it was new it lasted around 35 mins.

doesn't help; just letting you know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…