HP Deskjet 690c Making life difficult

Dumble452 23:44 08 Dec 04

I have a HP Deskjet 690c which is getting a bit long in the tooth but still gets the job done (most of the time). Recently I needed to align and clean the ink jets. Under Windows 98 there was a handy little utility which made printer maintenance tasks straight forward. You've guessed it, with XP this no longer appears in the program listing (at least it doesn't on my machine)and you can't install it from the original disk which came with the printer. After much searching, and going round in circles, I managed to locate 3 pages of instructions on the HP site which offered me 7 options for opening Toolbox. I quote " The correct steps for opening the Toolbox depend on what and how the printer driver was installed. Try each of the following options until you find the one that works on your computer" None of these worked but they did give me enough of a clue to find that it still exists but it is hidden away. I found it by going to Control Panel/Printers and Faxes/ right click Deskjet690c/properties/services. Just thought I would post this here in case anyone else has the same problem.

Dumble452 09:14 20 Dec 04

Ditto

Duff Drinker 09:47 20 Dec 04

Dumble452

This week-end I suffered exactly the same problem with my el-cheapo back-up printer a HP 3420.
Spend ages going round in circles trying to find the head cleaning utility.

I was going to post a query this morning, but the first message saw was yours.

Works for me too !

Thanks a lot & a Merry Christmas.

Dipso 21:40 20 Dec 04

...works for me too with my elderly 610C.

emmandelo1 21:54 20 Dec 04

Had exactly the same problem with a HP930c when I upgraded to XP. Eventually went to HP site and downloaded new drivers and software. Once installed the toolbox appeared back in the program listings in the start menu (and on the task bar, though you can disable this.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…