How to take extra insurance AND save money

mrcnfox 00:40 23 Apr 03

I have bought 3 PC's and other large consumer goods from the dixons group. We all know the preasure the put on the customer to take extra insurance. This is what I do. I always pay cash. I always ask for discounts and a few 'extras' including free delivery. I push real hard for these things. Eventually, I will be given a very good offer on condition that I take out extra insurance. I fill in the forms and the direct debit form. And walk out with my discounted goods. Then, as you can with any product like extended insurance and warrenties, I write my bank and cancel the direct debit and write dixons and tell them I dont want the cover. It works every time.

DieSse 01:03 23 Apr 03

If a vendor did something like that to you, you'd scream blue murder and threaten to sue them, no doubt. It's simply dishonest.

davidg_richmond 10:46 23 Apr 03

lol mrcnfox - some sales advisors even tell you to do that so they get their figures at the end of the day (they still get paid their couple of quid even though you've cancelled).

normally if you go into the store to cancel, the goods are receipted showing discount as 'service agreement offer' and they will take away the discount.

in my opinion its head office's oversight for not chasing up the direct debits properly or securing some kind of contract on the debit.

mrcnfox 11:18 23 Apr 03

I dont see that my actions are dishonest. After all DieSse, the whole extended warantee thing with the dixons group is, in my and many other's, opinion, a scam. I the group thought , for one minute , they would be likely to have to pay out on the scheme they would soon stop selling it. It is money in their pocket. If their greed for a no work, no risk, money making policy were not pushed on the staff by head office so strongly their staff would not make such deals.
As far as I am concerned, the discount I get using this method is simply compensation for a lousy service in shops where the stafdf either ignore you or know nothing and compensation for the many, many times I have had to spend money and time returning goods to morons who dont, or cant, listen to what I am telling them. I once returned a Canon machine three times before they tried the option I said in the first place and sorted it in minutes.

I am not being dishonest. Simply taking advantage of the dixons group tendency to , in my opinion, con their customers. And I will continue to do so.

Belatucadrus 12:52 23 Apr 03

mrcnfox the problem is not the negotiating of a deal, more people should try this. It's that you are negotiating from a position of bad faith, you are accepting terms from the supplier that you have no intention of complying with. As DieSse said if DRG did this to you you would quite rightly be angry. Is it dishonest ? not according to the terms of the guarantee, and I quote " You can cancel this Service Agreement within 14 days of buying it by returning this document to any Dixons store and if you have not used the service " So you are within your rights. You are however using the suppliers weakness to justify something that isn't strictly fair. Treat people as you would like them to treat you may seem trite, but more often than not it works.

DieSse 13:44 23 Apr 03

I didn't say it was illegal - i said it was dishonest. if you agree a deal that you have no intention of carrying out then that's bad faith - and dishonest. It doesn't matter what the vendors attitude or sales tactics are - I would deplore them doing bad faith deals just as much as deploring what you say you do.

Lead 14:02 24 Apr 03

I can't believe people are, in effect, condoning what DSG do to make people take out their warranties. It's refreshing to see the tables turned.

DSG know the warranties are bordering on useless, that they are over priced and that the only way they can get customers to buy them is to 'discount' their overinflated price in the first place and offer free products at the same time.

When I bough my first PC, many moons ago, in my ignorance I bought the warranty. I also received a free mousemat. Wahey! When I then decided to cancel the warranty on advice from a friend a few days later, they unbelievably tried to get the mousemat back. At the time I genuinely didn't know (the salesman didn't tell me) the mousemat was a condition of the warranty, so I refused. They could do little to take it back.

But if they now state on the receipt 'service agreement...' then maybe they are trying to prevent it from happening. So it does sound like you may have been overlooked, but if you can get away with it, great!

OK, so say i go into halfords and buy a specific tool for a job on the car, I use it, but it does not look used and still looks brand new. I take it back (Halfords have a vey good returns policy) and get my money back. Next time they have changed the policy and wont accept it back and eveyone looses.

Doing a "Deal" is one thing, and I thouroughly enjoy the haggle in whatever shop I go to. (Almost literally - Sainsbury's better watch out) but if I do negotiate a deal, then I stick to it, I like to think it is a gentlemanly thing to do at the very least.

Yes we could all "Negotiate" a deal and as soon as we get home renage on it, but then how long would the deals last? If you want the warrantly then that is up to you. If you dont, they are certainly not breaking your arm to get you to sign so why do it? Why not simply use your negotiating skills and still manage to get the deal. I assure you you will feel much better than committing an illegal act (Yes DieSse, I would class it as "Obtaining Property by Deception contrary to s. 15 of the Theft Act 1968.

just for clarification the section(s) read as follows:

(1) a Person who by any deception dishonestly obtains property belonging to another, with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it, shall on conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding TEN YEARS.

(4) For the purposes of this section "deception" means any deception (whether deliberate or reckless) by words or conduct as to fact or as to law, including a deception as to the PRESENT INTENTIONS OF THE PERSON USING THE DECEPTION or any other person.

There mrcnfox, I hope that makes you feel better about your criminal activities!

Biggles no more 15:30 24 Apr 03

I was looking at TFT monitors in PC World (a poor selection) and queried bad pixels. The salesman was surprisingly honest and said they had a warehouse full of returned monitors with bad pixels, but then went on to say that if I were to take out an extended warranty (the first time extended warranties have ever been mentioned in my many purchases at PC World) they would exchange any monitor with bad pixels, for a new one.

One wonders if this is a standards sales technique.

-pops- 15:33 24 Apr 03

I would take that with a pinch of pixels, Biggles no more. Getting any payout from any of these extended warranties is like pulling lion's teeth without an anaesthetic.

Brian

geordiegraham 16:29 24 Apr 03

I started reading the thread and agreed that the premeditated ploy was but creative, but bad faith. But mrcnfox wins me over with the reply. That's exatly what my experience of Dixon's is. My approach (and many friends and family) is never to cross the threshold of DSG, this poke in the eye is rather deserved for the contempt shown to customers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…