How to stop that spam flood.

siliconbits 02:01 27 Nov 03

I own a domain name and have setup a pop3 mail account using it. Now I am swamped and flooded by undelivered messages that I never sent and those messages have been sent through accounts on my domain name that never existed... Is this a way of stopping that as (1) I don't want to be blackmailed as spammer (2) I don't want to delete 100 mails per day.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:26 27 Nov 03
  961 11:18 27 Nov 03

Suggest you go to click here and make sure your site is properly protected especially if you are using Windows XP

Also suggest Zone Alarm and Mailwasher

siliconbits 13:08 27 Nov 03

The real problem is not abt me getting spam but about others thinking that my domain is spamming them. I get loads of undelivered emails back when I did not even send those emails :-P. I've already been tagged as bulk emailer in some of those returned emails thouigh I don't even know some of them... Might some virus like sobig do that kind of thing or is it the job of some spam master?

Hoseman 13:25 27 Nov 03

It could be a virus. I take it you dont have anti virus software or a virus hasnt come up when you have checked. May be worth double checking online as most of the anti varius companies offer an online virus check. If a virus isnt identified I suggest speaking to your hosting company and explaining the situation to see if they can help.

961 17:19 27 Nov 03

Have you checked site I suggested to make sure your computer is not open to others to use to send spam mail?

Gibson's small utilities will ensure this cannot happen. At the moment it sounds to me that this si the problem you are having

siliconbits 19:12 27 Nov 03

I use AVG grisoft (with latest update) and ZoneAlarm's firewall.. No I don't think it comes from me... I am with allabouthosting.co.uk and I've mailed them BTW with no response.

Babou 00:22 28 Nov 03

fastmail.fm is a web-based email service I started using because my isp's webmail was rubbish. Fastmail turns out to have a couple of excellent utilities that help in stopping spam.

You can set it up to check your POP mail, and have it show as sent-from your POP address. Plus, you have your fastmail address to give to the spammers, and the service does have filters. Here's the clever bit though: you can bounce mail via fastmail so it appears it's arrived at a dead address. The spammers only want live addresses, so zap, you're off that list. Might take a while to get off all the lists, but worth a try!

A basic service is free, but your account will expire if you don't keep using it. It costs £13 a year for a permanent account.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…