How much to sell PC for?

Colin 13:04 27 Mar 08

I have recently built a new PC and now want to sell my old one. I'm having a bit of a problem with deciding on how much to advertise it at.I've looked at EBay, but the prices vary wildly.

It is a self-built PC in excellent condition, (case only, no monitor or keyboard):

Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
Windows XP SP2 with CD
2GB Crucial RAM
ATI Radeon X1650PRO 512MB Graphics Card
Creative Audigy 2 Soundcard
120GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive
Asus P5GD1 Motherboard
Antec Midi Tower Piano Black Case with 350W PSU
Aopen DVD Writer
Floppy Drive

I would appreciate any advice as to a guideline price.

belfman 13:15 27 Mar 08

£150 to £175

theyhavecheese 13:27 27 Mar 08

Where are you based? I am looking for a new system. Are you on eBay? Maybe we could do a deal?

Totally-braindead 13:27 27 Mar 08

£150 maybe.

spuds 16:47 27 Mar 08

As you say, prices vary quite considerably. If you do put it on eBay, stick a reserve on it, and see how things work out. Personally I would suggest between £100 and £130, but I have always been a spendthrift ;o)

Colin 17:10 27 Mar 08

Thanks for all the responses. I was looking in the region of £150 to £175, so I wasn't too far off. I'm going to try to sell it at work first.

theyhavecheese - if I have no luck I will let you know.

I've never used eBay, always seems like too much trouble.

Totally-braindead 17:33 27 Mar 08

I don't want to put you off selling a PC on Ebay but the main problem I would have is with the postage really on a large heavy item like this. Obviously you charge for the delivery costs whatever they may be but as well as this if the PC is not handled too gently some of the cards or cables inside can come adrift leaving you with a disgruntled buyer some distance away who has a PC that won't fire up through no fault of your own. And not to put too fine a point on it many if not most people are frightened to go inside the PC case to see if somethings loose.

Personally, and this is just my point of view, I would prefer to sell it locally, hopefully to a friend. Although if you do this you can end up providing a lifetime of customer support. Not a problem if whoever gets it is reasonable but I ended up selling a PC to a complete idiot once and it caused me more headaches than you can count.

Colin 17:48 27 Mar 08

That's one of the reasons why I've never used eBay and probably never will.
I sold my previous self-built PC to a work colleague, and whilst I was conscious of the "lifetime warranty", he was a seasoned PC user and I never had a problem.

Colin 21:46 05 Apr 08

Sold for £130 to a bod where I work.
Now to start looking for a 3870 or 8800GT graphics card...

Totally-braindead 23:45 05 Apr 08

Check out the overclockers weekly deals as they have some good offers. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…