how much is 200MB

reddwarfcrew 15:01 25 Sep 03

I'm looking at gettin my folks onto ADSl as their exchange is about to be upgraded. Now they don't wanna pay £28pm as all they do is just surf, but I saw click here mentioned a fews days back.

So how much surfing could you do within the 200MB limit?

I know the answer is how long is a piece of string as it depends on how graphics intense the pages are etc, but is anyone prepared to take a stab in the dark. EG how mnay PCAdvisor helproom pages could you view within the 200MB limit?

tbh72 15:10 25 Sep 03

It is said that an average webpage is between 35kb - 50kb in size, so 200mb would allow you to view between 4000 - 5714 webpages.

Weekly page view totals would fall between 923 - 1319.

How you would actually count the number of page views made during browsing im not sure about?

tbh72 15:18 25 Sep 03

If your interested, I am with Freeserve BB, this new paygo service your looking at would cost 19p more if the maximum limit was reached!!!!

marjted 23:12 25 Sep 03

Costwise the Plusnet offering at £18.99 per month unlimited would seem a better package for your folks wouldn't it? The initial costs - activation and modem appear cheaper too.

powerless 23:33 25 Sep 03

"Now they don't wanna pay £28pm as all they do is just surf, but I saw click here mentioned a fews days back."

Stick to dial up and save a few.

Gaz 25 01:00 28 Sep 03

I would say 200Mb would be a week of my surfing!

Anyway,

tbh72 - They would count how many MBs you download, not the amount of sites.

I would say that 200Mb is enough for home users, but anyone that does a lot of surfing, it is no better than paying £17.99 for a basic (256kb/s) broadband from click here

Or even £29.99 for 600kb/s speed broadband.

tbh72 02:35 28 Sep 03

Gaz, my calculations are based on page sizes, in order to give a better indication of the quantity of sites viewed for a given allowance.

krypt1c 13:28 28 Sep 03

reddwarfcrew - There's a calculator on the site that will help to determine if it's cost effective.
click here

Dipso 22:22 28 Sep 03

I've been using the service you mention for a couple of months now. I use my connection every night for a couple of hours and more at weekends. I mainly look at web pages, use it for email and some downloading. I pay £13 a month. Before I signed up I downloaded a usage monitor from click here so I had an idea of how much it was going to cost me. Last month I used 808MB, OK that's not a great deal of usage but unless your folks are into heavy downloads, I think they should be OK with it. I am very happy with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…