how long should a lap top last

royston146 14:29 17 Jan 06

I bought a advent 7063m nov 2004 from Currys which I used about 2hours a week at max, one month out of warrenty it has now gone into suspended mode and my local pc repair shop told me the motherboard is the problem. The price of a new motherboard is around £400 and the lap top cost £750, its a lot of dosh to just throw in the bin anyone out there had a simalar problem and what did thay do?.

PaulB2005 14:50 17 Jan 06

"it has now gone into suspended mode and my local pc repair shop told me the motherboard is the problem"

Get a second opinion - don't mention the other shop or new motherbaords when you do. Not sure if that sounds right.

Can you post a thread in the helproom to see if we can help?

Stuartli 14:56 17 Jan 06

That's not a very long time at all.

HondaMan 15:07 17 Jan 06

It should certainly last more than 13 months. I suggest you write to Curry's head office, explain the problem, and ask for their comments within 14 days.

Assuming they don't reply, send a copy of that letter, by recorded delivery, with another letter headed

"Letter Before Action"

and say that if you do not hear with a satisfactory response within 7 days, you will issue a claim in the County Court for the full amount you paid for the computer.

Then after 7 days, go to your local CAB and take the copy letters with you. They will help you to issue proceedings.

spuds 15:26 17 Jan 06

Contact these people click here There something in consumer law which states certain items have at least a six year expectancy life. Perhaps your laptop comes under this heading.

Stuartli 16:31 17 Jan 06

Details of anticipated longevity of electrical and other products can be found on the Retra website:

click here

Most electrical outlets are members of the Radio, Electrical and Television retailers' Association (RETRA).

Forum Editor 17:30 17 Jan 06

Consumer law allows for the fact that many items, particularly electrical and electronic ones are expected to last well beyond the expiration of any manufacturer's guarantee, or any warranty given by the retailer.

A laptop should certainly last a good deal longer than the 13 months it's been in your possession, and you should take the matter up with Currys.

Don't jump in with 'before action' letters and threats of court proceedings - that's not the way to go about things. If you bought the computer in person, go to the shop and speak to the manager (get his/her name). In a calm and friendly way state that the machine has failed, and that in your view it should not do that within 13 months of purchase. If warranties are mentioned, say that you know that consumer legislation provides for remedies if certain items fail, even though the failure develops after the guarantees and warranties expire. Do NOT mention the other shop's opinion about the motherboard.

What should happen, if it goes well, is that the Curry's manager will say the computer has to go away for evaluation, and possible repair. Agree to that, but make it clear that this process must be completed within a reasonable time. Do NOT agree to deal directly with the manufacturer at this stage (although it may come to that later).

If Currys don't react well, and they try to avoid getting involved, tell them that you know you have a strong case, and that you will pursue it if necessary via the courts. Whatever you do, don't lose your temper, or appear threatening in any way - calm is definitely best at this stage.

leave the shop - either satisfied that something is happening, or dissatisfied because nothing is happening. Either way, as soon as you get home, write a letter of confirmation to the shop manager, confirming the points you made, and what has been agreed. If nothing has been agreed, say that you will now seek legal advice. Send the letter by special delivery, not recorded delivery, and make sure you write down the date and time of the conversationseparately. You think you'll remember the order of events, but later on, when you need the information you'll have forgotten.

If you got nowhere in your meeting with the manager, send a copy of the letter to Currys head office, addressed to "The company secretary" and again send it by special delivery. Enclose a note explaining that as you received no satisfaction from the shop manager you intend to seek legal advice with a view to a small claims action against the company, unless you receive a satisfactory undertaking from them within 14 days.

I know this sounds drawn-out, but it's the right way to do it. The wrong way is to go in, guns blazing, and thoroughly anatagonise everyone. A little bit of tact and diplomacy can work wonders, especially when you are dealing with this kind of claim.

Wait for 14 days after the date of the letter, and if nothing has happened come back to this thread and we'll review the situation. Obviously you'll let us know before then if you reach an agreement with Currys' manager.

spuds 18:33 17 Jan 06

One word of caution, should the manager suggest sending the laptop away for evaluation or repair. Make sure that you are fully aware of any possible fees that you may be requested to pay,and if these fees would be returned, and get any agreement in writing.

It is not a rarity that after 'evaluation', the blame is placed on customer error, with a large bill to follow before the release of the item under investigation.

royston146 13:20 22 Feb 06

I would like to thank all the people who took the time tpo advise me what to do about my Advent laptop.Taking the editors advise I will now be reimbused for the total repair of the laptop by Curry's, satisfaction at last. I stood my ground and stayed carlm it paid off.
Royston Nottingham

namtas 13:40 22 Feb 06

FE very well stated, you should apply for a spare time job with CAB

beynac 16:08 22 Feb 06

Bookmarked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…