How long do you leave your kit on?

HighTower 07:56 17 Aug 07

'Kit' in this instance being your computer equipment, not clothing!

Just curious, as a lot of hardware these days doesn't seem to have an on/off switch (some scanners, network routers etc).

In these days of minimising carbon footprints I would have though we would be encouraged to turn everything off at night. I've heard it said that we shouldn't leave TV sets on standby because of the energy it wastes. Is the same principle to be applied to our PC's?

Is there also a safety risk by having equipment turned on at the mains for very long periods of times.

Any thoughts?

sunny staines 08:16 17 Aug 07

all the time. read about turning off each night tried this after a few weeks had a bad run of failing psu,ram, gone back to all the time.

bjh 08:25 17 Aug 07

I have my nearest computer on from getting up to bedtime, and the router is also "always on". However, other items I turn on when I need them. I also tend to turn sockets off at the walls to avoid waste by "standby mode". Some gadgets that don't like being turned off (a VCR that loses cloch setting) I have on a different extension lead, so they stay on.

I am the kind of (irritating) person that has always turned lights off when I leave a room, and has squeezed energy saver bulbs in as many sockets as possible. (Why do they still sell light fittings that don't sensibly take energy savers???)

I do also look at power ratings when I buy new equipment... particularly standby power. Pioneer equipment seems to be quite good at low power use.

spuds 13:02 17 Aug 07

This subject as been discussed on a number of occasions within the forum, with different results about cost savings,environmental issues and possible hazards.

Some insurance companies are adding clauses into their contracts about leaving electrical goods connecting to a live power supply 24/7. My recent change of insurance companies, have included the provisions of at least two easy accessible fire extinguishers in the home, at all times.

HighTower 13:06 17 Aug 07

Do you think that this is reasonable or just over the top?

Sapins 13:48 17 Aug 07

I never switch anything off and that includes when we have storms.

Global Warning/Climate Change is just a myth

countryboy 13:53 17 Aug 07

When It's not in use I switch it off and think of the savings I'm making. Electricity cost money so why give it away to the suppliers?

€dstowe 14:21 17 Aug 07

My insurers insist that equipment in my studio is shut down at night except for things that are supposed to stay on - fridges, FAX machines etc.

Same insurers don't care what's left on at home even though there is much the same computer stuff there, in lesser quantity, of course, as in my studio.

HighTower 14:27 17 Aug 07

Manufacturers don't make this particularly easy though, as most routers don't actually have an on/off switch, and I've never liked the idea of just cutting the power to equipment via the mains switch - although this is probably what would happen anyway, it's just the switch is in a different place.

Am I right in thinking therefore that routers are specifically designed to be left turned on constantly for the whole of their working life?

octal 15:29 17 Aug 07

"My recent change of insurance companies, have included the provisions of at least two easy accessible fire extinguishers in the home, at all times."

That made me smile, it's no good having two fire extinguishers if there's no one at home to use them.

Storik 22:33 17 Aug 07

I have a Belkin under monitor Surge protector which has five switches in the front and five plug sockets at the back - also a phone socket.

I switch the computer off after use, both at the computer itself and on the surge protector. As all the switches are to hand, everything, bar the surge protector itself is switched off at the end of the day.

I have just bought a couple more of these surge protectors for my grandchildren's computers. Saves diving under the desk each evening. :)

Storic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…