How do E.Buyer fix there prices

Beas-Knees 13:29 15 Sep 05

Further to my thread of the other day where i had seen a Fuji F455 camera which had been selling for £151.50 & V.A.T. suddenly reduced to £110.63 & V.A.T.- Now after 3 days at that price it has gone up to £179.74 & V.A.T. a massive increase of 62.5%- Now I know that people will say that there is a fluctuating market out there but there is no way that the price should increase or decrease by such amounts as the profit margins that they work on with electrical goods is not that brilliant. I have seen this happen quite regularly with E.Buyer and just wondered what sort of system they work on for their pricing structure,blindfold & needle comes to mind?.

pj123 14:31 15 Sep 05

Ebuyer currently selling it at £133.83 including postage?

click here

Is it to do with Supply and Demand?

Beas-Knees 14:49 15 Sep 05

As I stated E.Buyer currently selling it at £179.74 click here

Stuartli 15:46 15 Sep 05

It's most likely human error and has been spotted following, for instance, an unusual number of orders; I've seen it at more than £200 as I mentioned in your original thread.

You may recall the expression Errors and Omissions Excepted which used to be featured regularly on computer magazine advertisements; it's to cover such eventualities or printers' errors.

scotty 13:03 16 Sep 05

Ebuyer do this regularly. I recall monitoring the price of a PDA. It went up and down like a yoyo over a period of several weeks. It is as if they are studying the effect of price on sales. They are generally competative but occassionally (like this example) the prices are a nonsense.

I guess the impulse buyer will pay the current price while others will only buy good deals. This tactic of varying the price presumably allows ebuyer to make more profit.

spuds 20:38 16 Sep 05

Ebuyer produce a weekly flyer which contains special weekend offers. In some cases quite a good discount on the normal price is offered, and a bargain is possible if you are quick in placing an order.

Regarding the price changes, Ebuyer really on the manufacturer and volume discount offered in conjunction with supply and demand.

Stuartli 00:02 17 Sep 05

What you state is, to some extent, the norm in quite a number of businesses.

But where is your evidence for such conclusions with regard to e-Buyer in relation to your second paragraph?

Beas-Knees 00:16 17 Sep 05

In regard to E.Buyer it doesn't appear to have any bearing whatsoever on supply & demand, if you follow their stock levels on a particular item (in this instance the fuji F455 camera)they increase & decrease the price willy nilly without hardly a change in stock levels, for example at the beginning of the week when this item was been sold at £151.50 the stock level was 15, surprisingly for the 3 days when they had it reduced to £110 the stock level only reduced by 1 to 14 yet strangely since they then increased the price yesterday to £179 the stock level has reduced by 6 to its present level of 8 remaining in stock.

dcu11 16:15 26 Sep 05

how do you know they hadn't recieved a delivery?

In General

I have always found ebuyer to be excellent value for money, so what if they have huge discounts one day and the price is back to normal the next? As the saying says, he who hesitates is lost, it's only annoying if you have been eyeing up a product only to find the price is back at the same mark as everyone else and you have lost your bargain. Personally, if I spot a bargain they I purchase or reserve it there and then.

jack 21:25 26 Sep 05

Its just Humings hitting the wrong buttings most of the time. In most supermarkets you will get shelf/till anomolies, which you dont spot until you get home.
I would think it must be hell working from suppliers
invoices and inputting masses of data all day every day.
20 something years ago I worked for a mailorder co
That was my job chasing the inut/catalogue errors, brought about by packaging changes, alternative supplies[from another source] all sorts of variables creep in in a high turnover business.
Walk around lets say PC World ansdsee if you can spot the same goods displayed in different locations at different prices- if you look you surely will.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…