How can ya tell if a telephone sales call is .....

Pooke 17:47 10 Aug 05

3 times now I have had a man with a indian kind of accent phone me and offer T Mobile phone contracts. Each time I haven't been in for the call, but I am interested in getting a new phone. My missus thinks it's dodgy to give out details to someone that phones us out of the blue.

mattyc_92 18:07 10 Aug 05

Put it this way.... How did "they" get your phone number?

"They" can only phone you IF you have gave "them" your permission, otherwise "they" shouldn't know your telephone number.

Sapins 18:11 10 Aug 05

When I get one of these calls and I suspect it is a sales pitch I do the following, when asked is that Mr. ...... I say just a minute, Ill get him for you and just leave the phone for a while!

Belatucadrus 18:20 10 Aug 05

" "They" can only phone you IF you have gave "them" your permission"

Unfortunately not true, some of these pests use call bots that dial at random until some poor prune picks up the phone. Hence click here BT privacy and the telephone preference service. There's any number of ways your number can end up on lists and once there it can be difficult to get off, particularly overseas companies not covered by UK legislation.

Jackcoms 18:27 10 Aug 05

"Unfortunately not true, some of these pests use call bots that dial at random until some poor prune picks up the phone".

Absolutely correct.

Which makes being ex-directory these days almost pointless.

I've always been ex-directory, yet still get more than my fair share of unsolicited calls.

961 19:08 10 Aug 05

You want a new phone then trawl round the mobile phone company sites on the internet plus Carphone Warehouse

No point in giving any personal and financial details to any unknown in this ountry never mind abroad

Forum Editor 19:52 10 Aug 05

click here

Since signing up - a long time ago now - I haven't had a single unsolicited call. I used to receive dozens of them.

HondaMan 21:18 10 Aug 05

If its the same crowd that called me they want all your banking details over the 'phone. I let him talk for 10 mins, then told him I wasn't interested. He tried every trick in the book to get me to sign up.

€dstowe 22:50 10 Aug 05

No telephone sales call is genuine as far as I'm concerned.

Like others, I'm signed up with the TPS but the occasional call does slip through - especially since I moved house and it takes a little time for the TPS to be set up.

I keep a loud whistle near my phone.

Pooke 23:47 10 Aug 05

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I got called into work.

I'll be signing up to that preference service and looking through the normal channels for my phone. The network sites, O2 online looks good. My line is ex directory and I was curious about how determined/desperate they were, calling 3 times.

Pooke 23:53 10 Aug 05

That was easy, just registered through the link FE provided.

Again thankyou

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…