How can u tell is 64bit windows is compatiable?

henza_mapenza 23:00 16 Apr 05

In the furure months computers will start to become 64bit but when considering upgrading to windows 64bit, how can u tell if it can be compatiable with your PC at the moment?

Do i have to buy a new system?

I have a pentium 4 3Ghz processor with HT technology and i just want to know if it will be compatiable with my PC or not.

thx

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:57 17 Apr 05

Unless you are running a network of 40+ servers, windows 64 bit will be of no concern. Advertising+hype+consumer ignorance.

G

Forum Editor 10:08 17 Apr 05

you must have a 64bit processor, and a motherboard capapble of supporting it.

Windows XP 64bit edition will be backwards compatible as far as 32bit software is concerned, but that isn't the point in your case, because your present machine will not run the operating system.

dth 17:26 18 Apr 05

64 bit does make a difference. As well as Win XP - I use the 64 bit version of Suse 9.2 and it is better at complex things and/or running many programs at the same time than the 32 bit version.

9.2 is the third 64 bit version of Suse - the first was a bit wobbly, the second pretty good and the latest version first class (with full driver support and a very good range of 64 bit written applications). I suspect that it may take MS a while to get things right for Win XP 64. Maybe look out for Win XP 64 SE and think about upgrading then....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…