How can I get a replacement recovery CD

Budgie100 16:18 18 Feb 03

I got a new PC (Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo 600) over 12 months ago, and it had XP Home installed, and it came with a recovery disk... somehow (dont know how) the CD is cracked and now won't work. Called Fujitsu Siemens helpline (unhelpful line!) and they told me the only option is to buy another copy of XP...that can't be right can it? I've already paid for it once, I only want the media, not another licence... any ideas folks?

(I posted this originally in Helproom, but was advised to try here..)
I'd be grateful for any help.
Ta

bremner 16:38 18 Feb 03

Had a look at your post on Helproom and have got to say Microsoft will offer no support to you because the recovery disk is an OEM product and therefore nothing to do with them.

The only hope is a good will gesture from Fujitisu Siemens - assuming you bought it direct from them but do not be surprised if they say that disks do not crack by themselves and for that you are ultimately responsible - therefore you must fund the cost of a replacement.

Sorry can't be more positive.

Pikachu 16:56 18 Feb 03

I had the same problem a long time back with my PackardBell machine, I phoned the helpline and they were able to send another recovery disk in the post, although I did have to pay a few quid can't remember how much exact. I'm sure Fujitsu-Siemens should able to send you another copy

Djohn 18:01 18 Feb 03

Interesting question! Last Friday I had the need to phone Microsoft licence dept. to check on my O/S Win98se.

The question asked was, "I have a 98se disk and it is registered with you", (I gave both the number and product key), this was confirmed at their end.

But I could not find my actual licence or manual and wanted to upgrade to XP professional.

The answer I received was along the lines of, "It is not the disk that is important but the licence and to upgrade you need that actual licence in your possession"

Technically, and this word was emphasised, I need to remove 98se from my system until I find my licence! As it happens I later found my manual and said licence, so all is well and I am in the process of upgrading to XP.

So if it is the licence that you pay for, then surely for a small fee, you should be able to replace the disk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…